Like Tree25Likes

Transfer to SoSim

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Quote Originally Posted by hkgcat:
    @vyral_143 Is it necessary to activate roaming in order to receive sms while in overseas? I thought receiving sms while overseas was free regardless you had roaming or not and you only need to activate roaming if you also want the ability to make calls or send sms while in overseas..? Or is my understanding wrong and ALL prepaid SIM cards, regardless of service provider or MVNO would need to activate roaming to receive sms while in overseas? TIA
    It depends on the country e.g in Canada you have to pay to receive messages when you are roaming for most networks.
    hkgcat likes this.

@vyral_143 Is it necessary to activate roaming in order to receive sms while in overseas? I thought receiving sms while overseas was free regardless you had roaming or not and you only need to activate roaming if you also want the ability to make calls or send sms while in overseas..? Or is my understanding wrong and ALL prepaid SIM cards, regardless of service provider or MVNO would need to activate roaming to receive sms while in overseas? TIA
    I had similar assumption that it would latch on a local network and atleast receiving SMS is possible. But here, there was no network = it didn’t latch on any network. So I think better to call customer care and activate rather than being in helpless situation.
    hkgcat likes this.

At least for my brief time at LAX and my significant amount of time in Texas my wife and I haven't had issues receiving SMS messages sent to our HK numbers with SoSIM. I've never turned on roaming, and SoSIM's roaming options within the SoSIM app only mention the mainland, the Philippines, Indonesia, and Taiwan, so I'm not sure how activating either one of those roaming services would help receive SMS messages outside of those places.

Also those roaming services are specifically about data not SMS messages which can be sent with areas you could make a call but not necessarily have mobile internet. When I went to the middle of nowhere Texas I had no mobile coverage (SoSIM uses T-Mobile's network just like my super cheap Mint Mobile US SIM) but you just need a second of crappy coverage to send and/or receive a text message.

hkgcat likes this.

@LoganH and @vyral_143 Can I double check my understanding on SoSim’s ability to receive sms while overseas and your mobile phone’s settings? Are both Mobile Data OFF and Data Roaming OFF (if on iphone) and the phone can still receive sms as long as your phone is not in airplane mode and a local network provider appears on top?

@LoganH and @vyral_143 Can I double check my understanding on SoSim’s ability to receive sms while overseas and your mobile phone’s settings? Are both Mobile Data OFF and Data Roaming OFF (if on iphone) and the phone can still receive sms as long as your phone is not in airplane mode and a local network provider appears on top?
    Yes, phone is with these settings.
    hkgcat likes this.

@hkgcat I didn't turn off mobile data because it's a prepaid SIM, so I can't figure out a way they'll charge me for something. I put my preferred network type as 2G only (I don't think this matters, but it might slightly reduce battery usage). I don't have an iPhone, but again I wouldn't be worried about getting charged for roaming with a prepaid SIM. It'll either work or not, but you won't be paying more or less either way. I just pay 88HKD every 90 days, and thanks to plenty of people on here I've gotten 5HKD a few times from people using my SoSIM referral link, thanks everyone.

hkgcat likes this.

SoSim confirmed to me in writing that there is no need to turn roaming on and all SMS are free of charge to receive while overseas. I'll verify this in April when I'm back in the UK and post back to this thread for those who are interested

pin, rainylin and Elegiaque like this.

Can anyone please confirm if they have been able to use SOSIM in India to receive incoming SMS ?

Quote Originally Posted by Cerebral_nomad:
    Can anyone please confirm if they have been able to use SOSIM in India to receive incoming SMS ?
    As far as I can tell based on conversations with the helpline and my limited travels, sosim uses the 3 network's agreements with local telcos to piggy back. You won't be able to use data on the sim in most places but I believe calling and sms should still work. I've tried in 3 different countries so far and it has logged on to local networks in each one of them, though it took some time or a restart a few times.

You can look up roaming capabilities here
    https://web.three.com.hk/roaming/coverage/index-en.html
    Last edited by eterrestrial32; 06-05-2022 at 02:55 PM. Reason: Added link for roaming coverage
    Cerebral_nomad likes this.

Successfully received SMS in Australia. Phone calls or data doesn't work.

Cerebral_nomad likes this.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4