Like Tree25Likes

Transfer to SoSim

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Transfer to SoSim

So SoSim is too cheap at 33HKD per month, but you can only transfer a prepaid SIM number to it. Is there another prepaid service that lets you transfer a regular service number (I'm currently using SmarTone) to a prepaid SIM? Then, from that prepaid SIM you could transfer to SoSim?

I can't tell if a Birdie SIM counts as a prepaid SIM. Any other ideas?

I've been using the same ~250HKD monthly SmarTone plan for way too many years because it's 5GB and then unlimited data, but at a slower speed. It also allows mobile hotspot and that plan with SmarTone doesn't seem to block torrenting (not always technically illegal depending on what you're torrenting). When I read the fine print of many plans they don't allow mobile hotspots and/or tethering if they offer unlimited data, and that's a deal breaker. The torrenting, well maybe that could be done via WiFi at home.

Forgot to mention.....I have never had problems hotspotting with sun mobile. Also csl is the parent company so you are using their network.

Any update on this ?

SoSIM seems dirt cheap at $33/month for 5000 mins + 50 GB data. Even Birdie looks expensive; Lol !

https://geoexpat.com/forum/121/thread360405-3.html
    another thread already mentioning SoSIM, I'll transfer from Smartone prepaid to SoSIM soon.

I've been using SoSIM with a SIM router/pocket wifi/wifi egg, not sure what it's actually called, for a few months, and don't seem to have any problem with downloading torrent etc. The only problem is that it gets really hot sometimes.

Yeah I'd like to know a way to transfer non prepaid number to a prepaid SIM (any in theory should do) and then I could transfer that now prepaid number to SoSIM. Any ideas?

Actually how does the phone company knows if a phone is mobile hotspotting ? by the number of active connections thru the mobile line ?

Quote Originally Posted by freeier:
    Actually how does the phone company knows if a phone is mobile hotspotting ? by the number of active connections thru the mobile line ?
    AFAIK they check TTL value. Hotspotted traffic needs to go through extra hop of mobile hotspot, so the value will be 1 less vs. direct mobile traffic. As I remember for rooted Android mobile phones there's a patch that might help - it prevents Android from deducting TTL value on passing traffic. Haven't tried that personally.
    shri likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganH:
    Yeah I'd like to know a way to transfer non prepaid number to a prepaid SIM (any in theory should do) and then I could transfer that now prepaid number to SoSIM. Any ideas?
    You could transfer your number from postpaid/plan to prepaid for a month and then port it in.

Quote Originally Posted by rainylin:
    https://geoexpat.com/forum/121/thread360405-3.html
    another thread already mentioning SoSIM, I'll transfer from Smartone prepaid to SoSIM soon.

I've been using SoSIM with a SIM router/pocket wifi/wifi egg, not sure what it's actually called, for a few months, and don't seem to have any problem with downloading torrent etc. The only problem is that it gets really hot sometimes.
    What sorts of speed are you getting with the SoSim? Trying to figure out between Birdie and SoSim which would be more reliable and which one is good for a cheap second sim.

I never really checked, but I don’t really feel the difference when I download movies, compared to when I was using broadband.

The only problem, sometimes it seemed to have difficulty connecting, and normally I would restart the device. But I’m not sure if it’s router problem or sim card problem. On days that are good though, which is mostly, it’s really good enough for me.

I’ll get back to you, after I do a speed test

Thanks. Would be good to see a speed test. For most mobile apps, as long as it is above 5Mbps with a decent ping, you should be pretty good with the connectivity. Using as a broadband replacement at home is a whole other proposition though, but great if you are getting decent speeds still.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast