Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By huja
  • 1 Post By jgl

Google Pixel 5A 5G - dead, kaput, bricked

Google Pixel 5A 5G - dead, kaput, bricked

This is the budget model for the year and was only sold in Japan and the U.S. Bought this phone in August when it was first released so it's about 3 months old. It DIED right as I arrived at the airport. What a retro experience it was to print out a paper board pass. Couldn't buy food on the NYC-LAX flight as the only way to pay for things in the pandemic world on the flight is the airline's app. I had no option to order an Uber or Lyft. Instead I walked to the taxi stand. I just showed up at home without sending my wife a text to let her know my ETA. My day was like stepping back in time to 1995.

I contacted Google about the problem and after waiting for more than 45 minutes to get someone on chat, I was told I'd receive an email to address my issue within 24 hours . . . This was hardly the quick resolution I was hoping for. Google has really struggled selling big numbers of their branded phones and I don't think this experience will inspire me to chose it over similarly spec'ed and price phones in the future. My Nexus 5 was an absolute tank but that was a lifetime ago.

jgl likes this.

Have you tried the factory reset volume down and power button pressed for 20 seconds? Plugged the phone in and does the charge light (if any) come on?

Yep, tried all the DIY fixes. Plugged into the wall and nothing comes on the screen. Plug into the computer and it at first recognizes the phone but won't allow me to see it as an attached device or storage device.

With further investigation, I think it's the screen. When I plug it in to the wall, it "acknowledges" the connection with a little vibration. Likewise when I push the "on" button.

Last edited by huja; 20-11-2021 at 12:40 PM. Reason: more details

After 48 hours without a response from Google I simply took my phone to an authorized repair shop to get it fixed. Six+ days after being told I would be contacted in 24 hours, I still haven't heard from Google.

Was it the screen?

At least you could take it to a repair shop - unlike iphone.

It’s "kaputt“, ffs

Quote Originally Posted by huja:
    My Nexus 5 was an absolute tank but that was a lifetime ago.
    I had both the Nexus 5 and the Nexus 6P. Both had inherent design defects which caused them to die (the Nexus 5 did it twice, first time within warranty).

I figured this was a lesson not to buy a phone from a Search Engine company that simply outsourced phone design and production, especially when they changed OEM with every iteration of model number.
    huja likes this.

Yep. Repair guy said the glass on phones these days are super thin compared to just a few years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Morrison:
    It’s "kaputt“, ffs
    No, fortunately we're not German.