Like Tree14Likes

Has everyone registered their SIM card?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Has everyone registered their SIM card?

Does the new law mean that EVERYONE currently using a mobile using a SIM card has to register it with their HKID card?

And is this even if it is years old and on a PCCW network plan?

And if yes to the above, can this registering be done online or does it have to be done physically at a booth or some place?

This only applies to SIMs that are not on a contract - I assume when you say "PCCW network plan" - you're on a post paid / contract, which then implies that PCCW knows who the SIM belongs to.

Non-contract SIMs like ones bought anonymously from say 7-11 or elsewhere need to be registered and linked with your HKID.

No clue how this works for tourists who might want to buy a local SIM for data...

Mrs. Jones, citrusfruits and aw451 like this.

Have to wonder how many pre-paid SIM cards have not been registered?

FWIW, banks have been told to stop sending confirmation codes to unregistered phone numbers. Not sure what the cut off date is.

https://www.thestandard.com.hk/breaking-news/section/4/200543/Twelve-million-SIM-cards-linked-to-users%E2%80%99-real-names

Edit: deadline is this Wednesday (tomorrow) after which unregistered pre-paid SIM cards will be deactivated.

Quote Originally Posted by traineeinvestor:
    Have to wonder how many pre-paid SIM cards have not been registered?

FWIW, banks have been told to stop sending confirmation codes to unregistered phone numbers. Not sure what the cut off date is.

Edit: deadline is this Wednesday (tomorrow) after which unregistered pre-paid SIM cards will be deactivated.
    Wait .. how do banks figure out if the SIM is verified or not? Or does the govt publish or push a list of numbers to them? Again - seems rather odd considering so much of the SMS infrastructure is outsourced...

I thought the operators disconnect unverified numbers and that means bank OTPs and other messages don't get delivered - which is a good enough reason for banks to be asking their customers to verify phone numbers linked to their accounts.

Thanks Shri!

Yes, on a 1010 plan. But couldn’t find anything on their 1010 website about it at all and can’t get through to speak to anyone on their hotline to ask

Quote Originally Posted by citrusfruits:
    Thanks Shri!

Yes, on a 1010 plan. But couldn’t find anything on their 1010 website about it at all and can’t get through to speak to anyone on their hotline to ask
    If you are on a plan and get a statement with your name in it, don't worry.. the govt knows who u are and who that number belongs to

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    If you are on a plan and get a statement with your name in it, don't worry.. the govt knows who u are and who that number belongs to
    On my wife's plan so the statements are all in her name not mine ... Will find out on Thursday if I've been cut off.

Quote Originally Posted by traineeinvestor:
    On my wife's plan so the statements are all in her name not mine ... Will find out on Thursday if I've been cut off.
    And thats ok ... She owns the number and is liable for ...
    aw451 and traineeinvestor like this.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    And thats ok ... She owns the number and is liable for ...
    ... whatever I get up to ...

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast