Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Peaky
  • 2 Post By newhkpr
  • 1 Post By Anahan

mobile network provider

mobile network provider

Hi, can anyone recommend a mobile network provider that has good coverage? I have to travel between my hometown and HK quite often, not sure what type of plan I should choose. Thanks!

Why is your hometown an issue and if it is, where is it and what is the issue related to your local SIM?

All the providers will have decent coverage. I think a better question would be what plan would give you the most value.

I think I'd recommend SoSIM (if you plan to use lots of data) or CSL Prepaid (if you want to buy data that will last for a long time and can be used on subsequent trips).

If you don't like manually topping up SIM cards, and consider HK$38/month to be cheap enough, then I'd just go with SoSIM.

I live in the UK, but since I always have to travel to HK for work purposes, I dont want to grab a prepaid sim everytime I'm here, figured it'd be better if I were to join a plan that suits people like me, who travels a lot

Look at the Three UK plans with “GoRoam” add ons.

Anahan likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by chlaw:
    I live in the UK, but since I always have to travel to HK for work purposes, I dont want to grab a prepaid sim everytime I'm here, figured it'd be better if I were to join a plan that suits people like me, who travels a lot
    Got an HKID? If that's the case you should know how to navigate the usual mobile plans here.

If not, you cannot sign up for a postpaid plans.

And you don't need to really buy a new SIM everytime. Pretty much every provider has a 365 day sim.

Or have you found a really good and amazing plan that you are itching to tell us about?

Three HK or SoSim

Quote Originally Posted by chlaw:
    I don't understand this at all. Why would you need to buy a new SIM every time? Just recharge one prepaid SIM. E.g. you can put 2 or 300 HKD onto a CSL prepaid, get the 365 day plan (there is several, e.g. Local Data 365-Day Pass / 40GB) and off you go. Just use the sim and recharge it by putting money onto it once a year. You can use credit card or any local 7-11.
    Anahan and shri like this.

OP, don't get confused by the marketing material on the SIM card packaging that says stuff like '30-day package' or whatever. That's just the voice/data package that comes with the card initially. You can keep using prepaid SIM cards forever if you top them up before they expire. I've had the same prepaid SIM for many years. Lots of people in HK just use prepaid SIMs instead of contract plans because they can be much cheaper.

newhkpr likes this.