Recommend an HSDPA modem

Closed Thread

Recommend an HSDPA modem

Hi all. (I'm on another account since I forgot my password and can't access my other e-mail.)

Going on a little Christmas trip and would like to purchase an unlocked HSDPA modem that will work locally and abroad. I really like Vodafone's USB stick modems. From what I can find, they're actually relabeled Huawei modems. Does anyone have other maker/models to recommend, also in USB stick form and unlocked?

Last edited by buckshot2; 18-12-2008 at 04:47 PM.

To answer my own question, it was hard to find even one unlocked modem. I suppose most people just tether but I needed the modem for my netbook. There were one or two Huawei 169G's lying around in Mong Kok back then. If by chance you're in need of one, good luck.

Back in Toronto now - after 10 1/2 years in HK

Not sure what you meant by that last post, but there's one called Sierra which you can google, but also do a search on expansys.com.hk for a Bandrich C100. The latter is compatible with all hspa frequencies including HK, Europe, N. America, etc. Unlocked. I got mine in July. Cheaper in Taiwan but I did get a discount from expansys. Maybe better ones around by now on that very site.

Yeah, there was one that was being sold in the computer centres, it might have been the Sierra. It was selling for more than 3k though. And the data cards on Expansys HK are more than a grand, beyond what I was willing to spend. The Huawei 169G is actually pretty good for its price. Compared to the BandRich, it only misses the UMTS 900 band.