Like Tree10Likes

Any HK eSim providers that come with a phone number?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Ooh. This is interesting. I purchased a Xiaomi in HK last week, and it has a esim capabity (according to the setting - apparently it's a second SIM card OR an esim). I purchased an ESIM to use in europe next week... but have not set it up yet.... perhaps I should try. Will be a PITA if not supported.

TaD_LaLa likes this.

I bought a 3HK eSim online for roaming (best deal out there) and it has a phone number.

TaD_LaLa likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    Ooh. This is interesting. I purchased a Xiaomi in HK last week, and it has a esim capabity (according to the setting - apparently it's a second SIM card OR an esim). I purchased an ESIM to use in europe next week... but have not set it up yet.... perhaps I should try. Will be a PITA if not supported.

Was this a HK warranty device, or grey import?
    Just to clarify, I have a Pixel, grey import, and the eSIM obviously works, even though this device is often not even listed as supported.

The staff at the Samsung Experience store confirmed that ALL new phones sold in HK are not allowed to have eSIM functionality enabled as of late last year.

It isn’t mentioned anywhere on the manufacturer websites but the same restrictions apply on the Mainland and in Taiwan also.

if I had not asked explicitly about eSIM support I would have spent a pretty chunk on a new Samsung that would have been useless to me.

Only workaround if you require eSIM capabilities in your phone is to buy elsewhere or a parallel import, but still worth checking first as features vary by region and legislation.

timonoj likes this.

China Mobile will also convert existing phone contract sims to an eSIM in store with absolutely no hassle and at no cost.

You just need to go to the Sales Counter and not the service desk and they will sort it out within minutes allowing you to keep your phone number and data plan as an eSIM so you can throw the physical SIM card away (as long as you have a phone that has eSIM functionality of course).

shri likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by TaD_LaLa:
    The staff at the Samsung Experience store confirmed that ALL new phones sold in HK are not allowed to have eSIM functionality enabled as of late last year.

It isn’t mentioned anywhere on the manufacturer websites but the same restrictions apply on the Mainland and in Taiwan also.

if I had not asked explicitly about eSIM support I would have spent a pretty chunk on a new Samsung that would have been useless to me.

Only workaround if you require eSIM capabilities in your phone is to buy elsewhere or a parallel import, but still worth checking first as features vary by region and legislation.
    Yes, I bought an international version OnePlus 11 in September last year precisely because I wanted to make sure it has eSim capability.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2