Like Tree12Likes

Broadband - New & Renewal Offers in 2024

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I am with HKBN on 5G and have never noted any throttling... it is a package from around April 2022, 2yr contract for 168/month. I think they charged 900 for the modem. Generally runs around 150-200mbit.

No issues except as noted above they started spamming me to renew in about the 14th month of the contract and now cannot comprehend why i am happy to pay the “out of contract” extra of about 30/month to have flexibility to move provider if we change apartment.

Very jealous of all the offers available for wired service. Netvigator “Premium” pricing is about all you can get southside and is at least 2x what you're all being quoted.

shri and ArrynField like this.

I have the China Mobile Fiber Broadband, they were the cheapest in my estate. I see they still have the $118 per month offer for 24 month contract.
    https://www.hk.chinamobile.com/en/home-family/broadband

I switched from iCable to HKBN last October. 2400 hkd once off for a year of 1gbit speed. Now they already sent me a renewal reminder and the cheapest option they have is 268 p/month x 36 month contract. I'm a bit irritated.

Quote Originally Posted by Peaky:
    I am with HKBN on 5G and have never noted any throttling... it is a package from around April 2022, 2yr contract for 168/month. I think they charged 900 for the modem. Generally runs around 150-200mbit.

No issues except as noted above they started spamming me to renew in about the 14th month of the contract and now cannot comprehend why i am happy to pay the “out of contract” extra of about 30/month to have flexibility to move provider if we change apartment.

Very jealous of all the offers available for wired service. Netvigator “Premium” pricing is about all you can get southside and is at least 2x what you're all being quoted.
    I wouldnt be too jealous. 150-200mb is perfectly fine. Here in Australia, 5G wireless is generally 50-100mb and its fine. My office is in Hong Kong and I run VPN to HK all day long (actually just switched my firewalls from watchguard to Fortinet), accessing network resources, shared drives, my Azure servers in East Asia, etc. For entertainment, 4k netflix is just fine. My son's gaming without major complaints.

You guys with 1gb and then thinking whether is worth to upgrade to 2gb, for only $1400 more over 3 years, but then really only $800 because of a free router or whatever, honestly I think you have just been brainwashed. Wake up, you are just paying for something you dont need and will never use. I just upgraded from 50mb to 100mb, for AU$5/month (HK$25) more. I can hardly tell the difference, but ok its only $5 so fine.

Oct-2023 signed up with iCable for $2016 cash upfront for 3-yrs 1Gbit fiber. $56 per month.
    Got the offer from street sales person who said it was part of the gov consumption voucher scheme for public housing people.
    This was after asking the sales person, leaving my phone number and letting him hassle me with a couple of expensive offers... then after third call he came back with this offer.

PS: I do not live in public housing.

HGC installation was easy - the guy just connected and tested something, and left new fibre adapter box. On termination date I just need to plug fibre cord and ethernet cable to new box, he demonstrated how.

Cancelling HKBN is more pain - you have to submit form (within 60 but >30 days of termination) via post or drop at their service counter.
    I couldn't google the form, so had to call them. This is the form if anybody needs it:
    https://images.hkbn.net/email/termin...n_form_eng.pdf

FYI for all the hesitating souls
    I thought they'd need to re-wire new fiber, or re-plug or smth like that. But seems they share same infra, just had to note the serial numbers or something on the fiber.

Last edited by GotIt; 17-05-2024 at 03:18 PM.
    aquaman and shri like this.

These are some of the recent 5G Plans, but all in Chinese.

https://www.5gplanhk.com/

shri likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2