Like Tree7Likes
  • 4 Post By riversidejr
  • 1 Post By GotIt
  • 1 Post By PLamHK
  • 1 Post By PLamHK

Best/cheapest way to call Thailand from Hong Kong.

Best/cheapest way to call Thailand from Hong Kong.

Any advice on decent ways to call a Thailand number from Hong Kong?

Need to try to call and negotiate with a hotel to amend a non-amendable/refundable reservation due to a visa issue of one member of our group.

Thanks.

If needed (i.e. no line, whatsapp etc. is available) I always use skype to phone which costs for a Thai mobile number around 0.3 HKD per minute - landline possible even less. Works rather seemlessly and you can also set your mobile number to be shown when you make a skype call (does not always work though).

I also use Skype for the rare occasions that I need to call an overseas number where WhatsApp isn't available. It's worked well for me over several years.

hk.main likes this.

WeChat Out/Viber Out too.

hk.main likes this.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll try Skype.

as other said, skype is a cheap and conivinent way in case you can't use whatsapp...

Just checking Skype, it seems there are plans for £10 which seems to give you the best rate. But from how the plan is laid out do you have to choose one country for all of tbag credit?

Skype newbie here

Tks guys

If you're making a lot of calls in a short period then a package works. I make maybe one or two calls per year (maybe 20-30 minutes in total) so I just pay the rack rate per minute. I put HK$100 credit on years ago, and there's still plenty left.

MABinPengChau likes this.

Yes, I have a plan to call the USA (unlimited free calls, mobile, landline, no problem) but when I call somewhere else, I just pay the rate (I think I have it set to auto-renew like 50 HKD when it gets low). And, like PLam said, takes you a LONG time to use that up. Most quickie business calls are 10 minutes or less (often much less) so lasts a long time. Set it to auto top-up, you won't run out mid-call.