Looking into Cel Phone Companies?

Looking into Cel Phone Companies?

Hey! We just moved here from the states and will start looking to purchase cell phone soon. Which providers here have a good reputation? We will probably be living in Parkview, I don't know if that will make a diffrence for getting service. Any companies we should stay away from? Where should we buy? Thanks for any input!

I personally use Smartone, which has the reputation of having one of the best reception everywhere in Hong Kong. It is slightly more expensive compared with say 3 or People's or New World, but not by much.

SmarTone-Vodafone

I would say avoid PCCW Mobile - had no end of trouble with their SMS service (and I know I am not alone). I finally paid a penalty to get out of a commitment.

CSL is good. New World was bought by them and no longer exists as a separate brand. The CSL One2Free offers are pretty good, and the network is one of the best. The best deal is to buy a package containing more airtime minutes than you will need.

Note that people generally buy IDD (international) calls separately from their phone package here. For this PCCW 0060 is good, but there are dozens of others, with the best deals depending a bit on where you will call. The USA is cheap - you shouldn't be paying more than HK$0.2/min to call there.

Who provides the best iphone service in Hong Kong? I have been a die hard Blackberry guy, but thinking of a change.

to the OP the two best providers are probably CSL and Vodafone Smartone.

CSL has two brands - one2free and 1010. 1010 seems to be more geared towards the corporates and one2free is more towards individuals.

both CSL and smartone are a bit more expensive then the other providers, but you can still find some good deals with them.

you then have peoples, 3 and pccw.

3 and pccw seem to have lots of customer complaints. peoples (china mobile) seems to be generally fine but does not have a 3g network.

to gomanred - 3 is the provider with the iphone deal in hk. with 3 you get an 18 or 24 month package with unlimited iphone internet access, etc. however you can buy iphones unlocked here and put any network provider's sim into them. however to fully utilise the iphone, you will need to find a deal which will give you a generous internet allowance.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    I would say avoid PCCW Mobile - had no end of trouble with their SMS service (and I know I am not alone).
    I think PCCW are the cheapest for 3G, the only have a few stores and are a bunch of retards to deal with.

The biggest mistake is not buying a phone that you cannot disable or filter SMS messages, TXT spam in HK is really annoying.

The problem I had was not spam it was that a good proportion of messages sent simply fail to arrive, or arrive up to 24 hours later.

Chelle_law-I would also recommend Smartone weve been using them for 2 years with no problems after a recommendation from the locals on my husbands team.

I think after two years+ with PCCW I'm in the market for new provider. So far CSL 1010 looks good - given their data rates seem more generous than PCCW. Need to put this into a spreadsheet and figure out.

I have been both csl and smartone in the past and both were pretty good., no real compliants with either of them. I did have a look at their data plans and csl one two free worked out better.

I however opted for peoples and have so far had no problems.
    Posted via Mobile Device