How can I make my US cell phone work in HK?

How can I make my US cell phone work in HK?

I just moved here from the states last week I have a Samsung u740 I bought from Verizon. I have learned here in HK I can just buy a SIM card at 7/11 and get cell service, but I don't think I can take the SIM card out of my phone. I have seen other posts referring to phones being 'unlocked', what does that mean? Is there a way I can get my current phone to work here or do I need to purchase a new phone?
    Thanks in advance for any input!

Can you call Verizon and ask them for an unlock code? Tell them you're travelling overseas and need to use a local sim. They usually give you the code over the phone, if you've been with them a year or so.

The other alternative is to get one of the local shops to unlock. No experience dealing with them.

Your phone might be 'locked' to Verizon which means that if you put another sim card in it it might not be recognised.

If thats the case then you can go to either Apliu Street in Sham shui Po or Mongkok and get it unlocked, Should take only 5 minutes or so and about $50 HK.

You should be able to take your sim out though.

Er, Verizon is CDMA isn't it? Unless it's a GSM phone (or both, I suppose) you're not going to have much luck with it in Hong Kong - or most places in the world other than the US or Korea, I think...

30 seconds on google tells me that a Samsung u740 is a CDMA phone. Therefore it cannot be used in HK with a SIM card since you need a GSM or 3G phone.