Mobile phones - should I keep my UK mobile?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

What do you think of SmarTone's reception in general?

seeing as ive just moved here and have no friends (sob) i cant really say as no one rings me anyway!

That is so sad

thanks! a bit of sympathy wouldnt have gone a miss!!!

Hi, to all
    I've been reading this thread about cell phone between UK and HK what about a cell phone in the US. I have motorola Razr V3 unlocked GSM which I plan to bring it over in HK and use it. I'll just buy a sim card once I get there..where in Chungking Mansion? I also read about Sundays, they sell sim card but my question here is does anybody subscribe with this company. Will I be able to send e-mail, texting from HK to the US with this sim card. I hope I don't have to buy a new cell phone there. Is the contract of cell phone in HK can be cancel anytime? When signing up with a contract, is this means I receive bill each month? What if I stay in HK for a short time like 6 months should I sign up with a contract. I appreciate your feedback.

You can buy prepaid cards from the network operators CSL, SmarTone, 3, Peoples and Sunday. Some little retailers also sell them at a discount. Recharge cards can be bought from them or 7-11's or Fotomax (film developers). If you're only staying 6 months then get a prepaid. If you do not hold a HK ID card and only stay 6 months then you will have difficulty getting a contract.
    All network operators provide gprs and your phone should have an email client so no problem with email. SMS - well should you even be asking.
    Only concern is not all operators accept sms from all other operators.

Quote Originally Posted by tiki:
    ... Will I be able to send e-mail, texting from HK to the US with this sim card. I hope I don't have to buy a new cell phone there. Is the contract of cell phone in HK can be cancel anytime? ....
    i agree with Disco re contracts/prepaid etc. you can join monthly plan on no contract, i am led to beleive, but for u i'd recommend prepaid. re SMS, If you want to make sure u get your sms across, stick with a big name. I know i harp on SmarTone-Vodafone, but that is just because i know from experience they have agreements pretty much worldwide. Other carriers dont. these guys have ok prepaid deals, and also an IDD/roaming prepaid ("stored value") SIM that u can use to call overseas, and u can use roaming overseas (as long as u use it in HK before u board ur flight out). monthly plans are cheaper, but in honesty the mobile rates in HK are quite low, even on prepaid, anyways. and for six months i reckon it isn't worth the time and effort to get a plan, go prepaid.
    re email etc, u gotta make sure ur prepaid allows GPRS access, me not tried that one yet... have fun

Mobile phones - should I keep my UK mobile?

When you send a text message overseas, there's usually some weird prefix number that appears before the 852 so if your friends overseas are just replying directly to your text message, it won't be sent to you. You should tell them that when they send you text messages, even if it's in reply to something you've sent them, not to do the automatic reply, but they should type in your phone number directly or through their phone book. You should get your text messages from your overseas friends then.

Not strictly true. Your caller display even when overseas is the number of the person who sms'd you with the international dialling prefix of "+" and the country code of "852". I always choose reply.

Quote Originally Posted by discobay:
    Not strictly true. Your caller display even when overseas is the number of the person who sms'd you with the international dialling prefix of "+" and the country code of "852". I always choose reply.
    once again disco, i agree. however, i do remember seeing a weird number come up on my phone once, which was +852 then some weird number, then the expected number. the in between number i am led to beleive is some carrier number...
    having said that, out of possibly hundreds of SMS i have sent and replied to whilst roaming, back to HK and other countries, i have only ever seen this weird number once. i just hit the reply button and no problemo. the phone seems to know that number is really the number in your address book without the mumbo jumbo (my s/e t610 asks "send to XXX?")...