iPhone dead, Apple won't repair it, what to do?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

iPhone dead, Apple won't repair it, what to do?

I got rejected here in Hong Kong by 3 and Apple when my iPhone stopped working (became really hot and then went dead) because of the liquid immersion indicator (the little dot that turns red when supposedly exposed to water). I have no idea what could have triggered that other than humidity or salt air (I do take it with me out sailing but it's in a waterproof pouch the whole time). Apple's policy in this respect is awful, since they won't repair despite the fact that the other immersion indicators were not triggered at all.

They also offered to "repair" it by charging me the exact same price as a new one (actually $600 HKD less, $5400 for a 16G). Terrible.

Being a recent convert to Mac (late-2008 MBP) & Apple I feel cheated, I thought the company was known for treating their customers well. Am a software developer and have started writing apps for the App Store, and this, coupled with what I've read about the problems they have been having with their App approval process is making me reconsider whether they can be trusted at all.

Does anybody know of a good reliable shop that can attempt to fix it for me?

there are a lot of shops in Mongkok (Sincere Bldg. Exit D2) or in Sham Shui Po, Apliu St.

Lot of phone repair shops in Sham sui po also.
    Exit D1

Should be able to haggle down the price a fair bit there also.

Whatever you do do not take it to Mong Kok Sincere House! You will get parts changed on you and it will not help you.

Take it to Apple Owner. They have three offices and the price you get will be fair and it is legit parts.
    Quarry Bay:
    606B Stanhope House, 734 King's Road, Quarry Bay

Sham Shui Po:
    Shop 212, 2/F, New Capital Computer Plaza, 85 Un Chau St, Sham Shui Po

Sai Kung:
    Shop 13, G/F, Sai Kung Tai Street, Sai Kung

If you do take it to Sincere House (Even though I have warned you of the dangers) PLEASE PLEASE make sure you watch them do all the work and DO NOT let them keep your iPhone for an overnight check up.

Well I am suspecting only the circuit section of the iPhone is needed to replace cause of the extreme heat you mentioned but don't forget it could also seriously damage other small components. Apple products have always been on the high end and stylish side, they rip you off quite a lot when you are out of warranty or voided. If I were you, I would grab an old phone for now and forget about your iPhone cause a lot of rumors have been generating that a new iPhone will be out in June!

Quote Originally Posted by eltonT:
    I would grab an old phone for now and forget about your iPhone cause a lot of rumors have been generating that a new iPhone will be out in June!
    No a new Iphone will not be out in June, Its just the official release of firmware 3.0 thats all.

The rumoured Iphone Nano is at the end of the year if at all.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo:
    No a new Iphone will not be out in June, Its just the official release of firmware 3.0 thats all.

The rumoured Iphone Nano is at the end of the year if at all.
    Aw... man you really think there would be a iPhone Nano, there's already iPod Touch to substitute iPhone for the apps and OS. All my friends are complaining is that the iPhone is too thick and heavy if Apple can overcome these issue, the iPhone Nano would just take over Touch's market which has no benefit to Apple. I am not sure if you are following Apple's trend, they always update iPhone at least once a year.

Quote Originally Posted by eltonT:
    Aw... man you really think there would be a iPhone Nano, there's already iPod Touch to substitute iPhone for the apps and OS. All my friends are complaining is that the iPhone is too thick and heavy if Apple can overcome these issue, the iPhone Nano would just take over Touch's market which has no benefit to Apple. I am not sure if you are following Apple's trend, they always update iPhone at least once a year.
    I did say rumoured not that there actually was one, Ummm the big flaw is that the Ipod Touch can't make calls or send texts hence how can it be a substitute for the Iphone?

Iphone too thick and heavy? Are you kidding me?

Iphone 2G and Iphone 3G, thats all so far. They're not going to update it with a bigger HD or better megapixel camera anytime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo:
    I did say rumoured not that there actually was one, Ummm the big flaw is that the Ipod Touch can't make calls or send texts hence how can it be a substitute for the Iphone?

Iphone too thick and heavy? Are you kidding me?

Iphone 2G and Iphone 3G, thats all so far. They're not going to update it with a bigger HD or better megapixel camera anytime soon.
    there is a mini iphone out already. you can get it in the phone shops in Pioneer Building in Mongkok on argle Street.

the functions and quality and everything is actually quite good considering it is only HK$600 - 700. the big problem is that the battery lasts like 12 hours

please note that is it not from Apple.... so isnt locked!

Quote Originally Posted by UK/HKboy:
    there is a mini iphone out already. you can get it in the phone shops in Pioneer Building in Mongkok on argle Street.

the functions and quality and everything is actually quite good considering it is only HK$600 - 700. the big problem is that the battery lasts like 12 hours

please note that is it not from Apple.... so isnt locked!

LOL gotta love those countries that cares less about copyright infringement..

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast