Smartone Home Broadband

Closed Thread

in an underground bunker at an undisclosed location

it seems as clear as it is IMO...if you look at the plans above and the prices the remarks refer to.

Home Broadband - Price plans

$28/month – Smart Duplex1
    $68/month – Standalone Fax2

duplex : either one is in use
    standalone : both can be used as you have a separate device for faxes...

deleteduser

$148 sure seems like a good deal, considering I am paying $224 per month for presumably the same speed. I am going to drop by a Smartone shop and see if I can test out their speeds (I doubt it though, somehow I think we're supposed to assume everything just "works").

deleteduser

Oh I just realized that it's basically just a 3G modem... That seems kinda bunk to me, unless you can log onto the same connection with any 3G device with the same contract...

How steady could a 7.2 Mbps HSDPA connection really be?

deleteduser

So I tried it out at Smartone today, and holy SHIT is it ever SLOW!

As I suspected, 3.5G is fine for mobile phones streaming low-res low-bitrate data, but there is no way in hell it should be considered "broadband". Broadband in terms of phones maybe, but not "Home Broadband" that's for sure!

I've tried it and was able to watch youtube videos fine. Depends what you need I guess.

deleteduser

They said I could bring my laptop over and test it out, which I would prefer to do. That way, I can test out Usenet downloading, and check speeds with Internet Download Manager too, both of which will download at absolute peak bandwidth by using multiple streams.

I used it in Tung Chung and it's quite SLOWWWWW after 6pm.
    When you are home and need it the most, it is SLOW.
    I want to look for alternative but is locked by the contract.

Sad...

The modem is from Huawei...not surprisingly I can't run stable WIFI connection without rebooting several times.

It's a cheap solution..

I need to hook my Linksys to fix this WIFI issue.