Iphone 3GS

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast

its up to you.
    BB die-hard fans will say BB + iTouch
    Apple die hard fans will say iPhone

to me...carrying 1 device that does it all speaks volumes, especially when its roughly same size and has a ton of added features

BlackBerry is not just a mobile device but also a service which doesn't work with an iPhone. If it's not required an iPhone will be an alternative, or any other smartphone for that matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Raccon:
    BlackBerry is not just a mobile device but also a service which doesn't work with an iPhone.
    What is the service?

i think Racoon means that BB service plans are tied to BB phones, where as iphone is a phone that can be used with many different service providers...just not BB

Quote Originally Posted by BenderBends:
    i think Racoon means that BB service plans are tied to BB phones, where as iphone is a phone that can be used with many different service providers...just not BB
    O - thanks... that makes sense.

You can also use the BB with other service providers and plans, however you may not be able to use all the BB functions.

I used my BB with generic service plan (there is actually a long thread about that) and it on the whole worked fine, and was able to use most of the functions.

Quote Originally Posted by skypine27:
    Didnt have any in mongkok today (Saturday).

Said sometime in July.
    Just saw this article in the SCMP:

Hong Kong News Headlines | Hong Kong's premier newspaper online | SCMP.com

"A Mong Kok store took delivery of the latest iPhone model, the 3GS, yesterday and began taking orders from customers. However, early birds will have to wait for the parallel import's SIM lock to be removed before they can get their hands on one.

The speedier iPhone was released in eight overseas countries last Friday. The official launch in Hong Kong is scheduled for July 9.

Stocks of the phone arrived at the Digital Concept Mobile Pro-shop in Mong Kok's Sin Tat Plaza yesterday. Several shoppers expressed interest in the phone, but store owner Eric Lam said it would not sell them until the SIM lock - which restricts the use of phones to specific countries and network providers - was removed.

More than 10 former customers had ordered the phones, he said.

"HK$6,000 [for the 16G version] sounds somewhat reasonable to me," Mr Ma said. "I guess some customers will be willing to pay HK$7,000 when the phone is newly in stores."

He has yet to set a price.

In the United States, the phone costs US$199 for the 16G version and US$299 for the 32G one. To get the version with bigger storage capacity, Hong Kong consumers would have to pay HK$800 to HK$1,000 extra, Mr Ma said.

He said the speed of the latest iPhone was outstanding: "It's the difference between a Civic and a Porsche."

Mr Ma said he was not sure how long it would take his staff to break the SIM lock. "In previous circumstances, it could take as long as half a year," he said.

Shoppers, most of them iPhone users, said they were willing to pay around HK$6,000 for the phone.

"The iPhone 3G [an earlier version] is very good already," music teacher Raymond Lai said. "Now is a good time to buy that version."

Man Shu-kee, another passer-by, said: "The new functions [of the iPhone 3GS] are more playful than practical. I will ask around about how much it is. But I won't buy it until its price becomes more stable."

Jacky Cheung Yiu-shing, president of the Chamber of Hong Kong Computer Industry, said it was unlikely that the 3GS model would be greeted with the same fuss as previous iPhone versions.

"It lacks groundbreaking new functions, while fellow smartphone manufacturers are now ready for competition with their sophisticated new models," he said.

Mr Cheung said the consumers should be cautious when they considered buying parallel import versions, adding that some bugs might exist in early batches."

Thanks for that article.

I checked out Mong Kok today, and 2 shops did have the 16GB 3GS. They wanted 8500 for it. No price on the 32GB, as neither shop had it. Obviously, I didnt buy one!

Could not find the shop listed in the article. Guess I'll see what prices are like in July.

Last edited by skypine27; 24-06-2009 at 04:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Myrona:
    I am thinking about getting a smartphone (to check email on the go) as well as needing to get another mp3 player (like an ipod). I originally was thinking about getting a blackberry and an itouch but recently have been finding that maybe I should get an iphone instead (which is basically both of those things in one)... but which is better - a blackberry (& mp3 player) or an iphone?

i'm looking to get 2500 for my 2g iphone (replaced by apple in february- so barely used). here's what i suggest=) you buy my phone. grab chinamobile/peoples unlimited data plan for 98 bucks a month (no contract!) try out the iphone 2g for a month or two, if you don't like, sell the iphone and grab the bold. best of both worlds, and not locked into contract!

Yep, that's what I meant - you can use BB with other providers but not all the BB functions.

Quote Originally Posted by pin:
    Just saw this article in the SCMP:

Hong Kong News Headlines | Hong Kong's premier newspaper online | SCMP.com

[...]

In the United States, the phone costs US$199 for the 16G version and US$299 for the 32G one. To get the version with bigger storage capacity, Hong Kong consumers would have to pay HK$800 to HK$1,000 extra, Mr Ma said.

[...]
    That's a pretty misleading statement by the author of the article since the US prices are only valid with a 2-year AT&T contract.
    Last edited by Raccon; 24-06-2009 at 08:09 PM.

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast