iPhone alternative plans to 3?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by victorminC:
    POP3 and IMAP as long as it's not push e-mail (Service details - Hot Internet stuff)
    Awesome! Just spent 10 minutes setting up pop3 gmail on my iphone to test it, and it absolutely sucks, with no directories.

Quote Originally Posted by victorminC:
    But there is one fine print tho, 20MB per day is for web browsing and YouTube only (Safari and YouTube), use anything else you're charged at $15/15MB (capped at $298 per bill), but of course for your case pull e-mail will be excluded since you have an add-on e-mail plan.
    Guess it won't cover maps and applications such as WSJ, NYTimes, etc? I hope downloading WSJ/NYT articles won't use much data.

Quote Originally Posted by lngtmm84:
    My iPhone using Smartone data plan with 20MB per day, plus enough voice minutes for less than $100 The most important for me is $30 extra for unlimited Pop3 email access...so far it is very good deal to me.

Isnt that only for browsing though? Not data through applications such as facebook and apple store?

Quote Originally Posted by md23:
    Guess it won't cover maps and applications such as WSJ, NYTimes, etc? I hope downloading WSJ/NYT articles won't use much data.
    Most of the times ~30MB should be enough for WSJ/NYT applications (so ~$30 extra each month), but I don't definitely recommend downloading apps and using Maps for navigation on this plan, otherwise you will hit the $298 cap pretty often.

Awesome! Just spent 10 minutes setting up pop3 gmail on my iphone to test it, and it absolutely sucks, with no directories.
    use imap....then you can synchronize folders and directories.
    also...i think POP can use directories.

Quote Originally Posted by BenderBends:
    Well POP3 folder filing is visible on the iPhone only, if you use your webmail to check your e-mail, you will see the e-mails you filed on the iPhone will still be in Inbox.

IMAP on iPhone, however, will reflect the changes to the server as well.

Quote Originally Posted by BenderBends:
    I wasn't able to see the existing directories that I set up on gmail using imap. Maybe it's only for new and local directories on iphone?

I wasn't able to see the existing directories that I set up on gmail using imap. Maybe it's only for new and local directories on iphone?
    You need to go to "Settings" then "Mail" and subscribe to those IMAP folders, I forgot the exact steps and I don't have an iPhone at hand (stupid Windows Mobile phone ).

peoples data plan

has anyone tried the peoples data plan, hows their speed and coverage?? it seems like a good deal comparing to the rest.

I know GPRS is suppose to be slower then 3g, but how much slower in reality?? with 3G never reaching its top speed, it seems like GPRS might not be a bad idea with this price tag.

for $98, u get unlimited GPRS and wIFI with voice.

Data Service Plans_China Mobile Hong Kong

Last edited by helloword232; 12-07-2009 at 10:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by helloword232:
    has anyone tried the peoples data plan, hows their speed and coverage?? it seems like a good deal comparing to the rest.

I know GPRS is suppose to be slower then 3g, but how much slower in reality?? with 3G never reaching its top speed, it seems like GPRS might not be a bad idea with this price tag.

for $98, u get unlimited GPRS and wIFI with voice.

Data Service Plans_China Mobile Hong Kong
    Well but the problem is same with 3G, even for 2G you don't reach the top speed either, with 3G you get around ~1.5Mbps (180KB/s) download most of the time, and with 2G (EDGE) you get ~200Kbps (25KB/s).

And an unlimited 3G voice + data plan doesn't cost that much, they run for less than $200 these days, I personally think it's a waste of the iPhone 3G/3GS using it on a 2G plan, why not just get the 1st gen iPhone?