SKYPE on Blackberry...supposedly free but uses IDD

SKYPE on Blackberry...supposedly free but uses IDD

Just installed Iskoot to use skype on my blackberry (only subscribed to roaming so far, not IDD yet)- works fine but when ive tested a sype to skype call, i notice it required me to add IDD to my plan- the whole idea of skype to skype is that it's free.

This is worrying as I thought that the skype would simply use the internet connection.

Anyone use Iskoot and have any info on call charges?
    thanks

You do have a paid skype account?

You were using 3G or Wifi connnection and not GPRS?

that is with iskoot....
    wait for the official skype software for blackberry

Erm... iSkoot doesn't list HK as one of their supported countries, so I assume it doesn't know how to access Skype through a local number. It does list China, which might cover HK - I assume you told it you're in HK so it knows where to dial?

Last edited by vmlinuz; 13-07-2009 at 05:41 PM.

hello all,

Yes, have paid skype account and was using 3-G- I assume.
    Yes, i told it my location was Hong KOng as it prompted in the drop-down before downloading the software.

The skype chat works fine through Iskoot. (if a little painful on the small display).

Now I have set up IDD on my Tariff, I tried a skype to skype call, which worked but the reception was awful ad still dont know if i'm being charged for it.

Seems to me this is all a bit hit-and-miss on the blackberry at the moment. I just can't wait for the proper skype software.

in an underground bunker at an undisclosed location

try Nimbuzz...it's like Skype, but with more functionality, and you won't be charged for IDD...

Nimbuzz - Free international mobile call chat messaging with skype, msn & yahoo messenger, Icq

Quote Originally Posted by Worrier30:
    Now I have set up IDD on my Tariff, I tried a skype to skype call, which worked but the reception was awful ad still dont know if i'm being charged for it.
    iskoot appears to use regular telephone calls to a local point-of-presence (PoP) for Skype voice calls, and your data plan for messaging. If Hong Kong is not listed as supported, and you are forced to enable IDD which means that all Skype voice calls are be routed to an international number which you will then be charged for.

The purpose of Skype routing voice calls through the regular PSTN is to reduce the burden of data traffic on the 3G/GPRS network.
    Last edited by MrMoo; 14-07-2009 at 10:36 AM.

Thanks all, this is starting to make more sense now.

Have cancelled my 3 subscriotion, the customer service was appawling. Now searching for a new provider with Enterprise...the next stress begins!

try www.fring.com it works for msn, yahoo and skype all of them under one application

skype has not been officially implemented and released for BB. The programs you are using are basically workarounds and as part of their business model they have to make money somehow as do the carriers. They are all junk in my opinion.