What to get for new smartphone?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What to get for new smartphone?

One of the advantages of being in HK is the wealth of phone options we have here, though having so much choice can also be a burden... I'm looking to pick up a smartphone and looking for some opinions on possible choices. I haven't had the chance to check out the MK phone mall lately, so hopefully some of you have.

iphone 3gs - i'm no apple fan boy but the good thing about this is that i'm pretty familiar with the ui having owned a ipod touch 2g and even though missing flash support, lot of apps and overall great responsive os. at $5400 its not cheap (i'm locked into a contract already atm otherwise I would have probably already gotten it, even though 3 sucks) but i know what i'm getting for the price at least.

htc hero - heard a lot of good things about the phone except that it is running on sluggish hardware. does anyone know how much its going for in hk?

samsung omnia ii - recently released, looks like it has a great screen but held back by crappy win mo 6.1. apparently upgradable to 6.5 once it comes out, but from the reviews it looks rather sluggish at times despite having the fastest processor (800mhz). Anyone have an opinion / know the price?

samsung jet - not really smartphone, more of a feature phone but cheap from what i hear. it's like $4k? has anyone picked one up? also boasts a really good screen.

n97 - i feel that nokia has fallen a bit behind in the touchscreen smartphone field... so haven't looked seriously at this phone given the lackluster specs. would welcome any opinions tho.

or... should i wait? anything exciting coming down the pipeline? i could probably wait until xmas.

also, what providers / plans are you smart phone users on?

GIven your post, buy any as you will change your mind later, then change again.

Plan:Peoples HK$176, 1000min, 2900min, unlimited GPRS

haha touche, it was a pretty ADD post.

i guess i'll get an iphone seeing as how the htc hero is $5800 i hear.

im using htc and everyone else in the family is using iphone. i think i would change to iphone very soon too.

htc - the system runs pretty slowly. web browsing makes me angry as im a very impatient person. GPS natvigator is only able to locate me after 10 mins and i already get lost in the middle of you know where. and there are always new models coming out every few months. a month after i got mine, i felt my phone was not good enough and almost cried for the $5k+ i spent.

thanks for the response

yeah that's what i was worried about too, at least iphone you have consistent quality. with so many htc sets coming out, quality can vary a lot... and 5k+ is a lot (to me anyways). so your experience is with the Hero?

still, i hope an iphone killer comes out sooner or later. its a bit ironic how iphone sources so many of its parts for other phone manufacturers yet many of them lag significantly behind.

htc diamond 2 anyone?

Diamond 2 isn't bad at all. It's fast, certainly quick over 3G compared to many others (supposed to be 7.2Mbps and pretty much there with the iPhone 3GS), HTC have added a few more levels of their Touch-Flo which buries WM6 deeper before you even have to look at it, it looks good and is several steps above the original Diamond.

I like it but.........misses that wow factor. However I could easily use everyday - but you do know there is better out there.

Quote Originally Posted by jaykay
    Diamond 2 isn't bad at all. It's fast, certainly quick over 3G compared to many others (supposed to be 7.2Mbps and pretty much there with the iPhone 3GS), HTC have added a few more levels of their Touch-Flo which buries WM6 deeper before you even have to look at it, it looks good and is several steps above the original Diamond.

I like it but.........misses that wow factor. However I could easily use everyday - but you do know there is better out there.
    its a tough one out there. if you want to stand out at present its all about the iphone.

the hero from what i've read doesn't come up to par. the android os is great, but is crippled by the hero hardware.

however SE is bringing out an android phone soon, so that may shake things up a bit.

Yeah i looked at the diamond 2, however in general not a huge fan of the win mo device. i think when win mo 7.0 comes out it'll have a chance to even the playing field. 6.5 doesn't really impress me.

htc did great with sense UI for hero, but like you said, running 2nd rate processor in flagship phone = fail. It's still very pretty... just needs the hardware.

diamond 2.. looked at it. given the cost doesn't seem like it worth it. and actually i was more of a fan of the diamond 1 with the unique back, even tho it wasn't the most practical design.

here's to hoping the next android handsets will go places. sonys looks okay but their xperia to me was pretty underwhelming. why do so many manufacturers insist on using cheap feeling materials for phones that cost upwards of 4k...

FYI review of the Hero:

HTC Hero Android smartphone Register Hardware

Good review and they like it, but some issues with it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast