Like Tree1Likes

iPhone on PEOPLEs network

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

iPhone on PEOPLEs network

Hi all,

I have an iPhone from Canada which I jailbroke and unlocked which allows me to use with any carrier's SIM. I have been on a PEOPLE's prepaid sim card for quite sometime now, and I am curious if there are any pre paid data plans on PEOPLE's that will work with the iPhone. Like a pay as you go data plan feature that allows you to use 100-200mb per month.

I want to stay with PEOPLEs because I want to retain my number. I don't need 3g, just anything as long as I can access emails, light browsing, apps etc.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BryanL:
    I want to stay with PEOPLEs because I want to retain my number.
    Some misunderstanding here - phone numbers are fully portable between carriers in Hong Kong.

A couple of points:

• You can retain your number even if switching operators.
    • It sounds like you would be best of with the Peoples unlimited GPRS/EDGE plan for HKD98 - it is not pre-paid/PAYG but has no contract period, so you can cancel it anytime.

I can confirm the peoples data plan works fine with the iphone, I have used it. As stated above its about HK$98 per month (plus $12 tunnel fee) contract, but there is no minimum period.

You also get a bunch of free minutes and for the moment free MMS to any HK network.

Please note though, as its Peoples (now called China Mobile), it will run on EDGE, therefore the speeds are quite slow.

Last edited by pin; 20-08-2009 at 11:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pin:
    Please note though, as its Peoples (now called China Mobile), it will run on EDGE, therefore the speeds are quite slow.
    Assuming that the OP has the original iPhone, EDGE is as fast as it will get anyway...

Thanks for the information guys. I have an iphone 3g but edge is ok. $98 for unlimited data is an amazing deal!

Quote Originally Posted by BryanL:
    Thanks for the information guys. I have an iphone 3g but edge is ok. $98 for unlimited data is an amazing deal!
    I was on it and thought Edge would be fine. It was actually pretty slow for what I wanted to use it.

If you do pay a bit more you can get 3g connection with one of the other networks. I can now use Voip over the 3g connection and using it for web browsing is great.

However at the end of the day its your choice.

Have a look at this thread for the various data plans available:

http://www.geoexpat.com/forum/thread52133.html

I just subscribe to the data plan on pre-paid sim. But I don't seem to be able to set the APN. Can anyone provide me with the setting.

If u need to go to PRC, People is the best. However, if you are work in Hong Kong only, 1010 is not bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukie:
    I just subscribe to the data plan on pre-paid sim. But I don't seem to be able to set the APN. Can anyone provide me with the setting.
    The APN is
    peoples.net
    Lukie likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast