The iPhone 3G Plan

Closed Thread

The iPhone 3G Plan

Hey I have an iPhone 3G plan (not 3GS) from Three HK I was wondering if the text messages in the plan include international SMS or not? I was gonna use skype, but then I realized that you can't receive text even with a online skype number.

Also, do you guys have any alternatives to texting to the USA for Cheap and receive it on the iphone? I don't want my friend paying for international fees too.

THANKS!

As far as I'm aware international sms's are not included in the package (I don't think even inter-network ones are!)

I have no idea how you'd arrange another option, that's a bit technologically advanced for me!
    Posted via Mobile Device

jailbreak your phone.

then get bite sms. international texts are charged at HK$0.70 (as opposed to HK$2, which is what 3 will charge you).

They are sent through the data network.

Receiving text messages are free.

@Pin

Thanks, but then when my friend sends the text, where does she sent it..? Will she be charged internationally?

Quote Originally Posted by mystik:
    @Pin

Thanks, but then when my friend sends the text, where does she sent it..? Will she be charged internationally?
    If your friend wants to text you in HK, of course she will be charged for an international text (unless she also gets Bite SMS).

Its for your friend, wherever she is to find something that works for her to text internationally.

should add, if your friend also has an iphone, you should look at an app called "text free unlimited". i personally haven't used it, but from what it seems is it allows free text messages to friends who also have the app.

I think it costs about $2 to get.

Quote Originally Posted by pin:
    should add, if your friend also has an iphone, you should look at an app called "text free unlimited". i personally haven't used it, but from what it seems is it allows free text messages to friends who also have the app.

I think it costs about $2 to get.

Or stick to push e-mail then since thats free

or the chat functions in yahoo, skype etc etc .. which are just as good as text imho and you can get apps for the phone (certainly for yahoo) that keep you connected on the go..

So, for example, both my hubby and I have YAHOO messanger on our phones. It auto-logs in whenever we switch the phone on, and then if we get a yahoo message, beeps. If you have a data plan, this is ideal - it does not use much data, much cheaper than texts - even better on an unlimited data plan! Even if you pay for data, I think it can still work out much cheaper than international texts. You do, obviously, have to both have a yahoo messanger account.

But there are HEAPS of other similar products - gizmo, skype, window messager etc etc etc.

Last edited by MovingIn07; 21-08-2009 at 10:37 AM.