Which is the recommended iphone plan for those who stay in HK for only a few months?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Which is the recommended iphone plan for those who stay in HK for only a few months?

Sorry for cross-posting. I might have posted to the wrong thread. I will be careful next time.

It seems that several iPhone plans rebate the cost of the original iPhone. However, the contract is for 12-24 months. What do you recommend to those who stay here for only a few months? Is it possible to use the sim card in my HK cell phone on the iPhone? What are the disadvantages of using prepaid sim cards on the iPhone if it is possible to do that?

More details about my case: I am considering to buy the iPhone 3GS instead of the just released iPod Touch because I spend almost two hours on MTR and an hour in green mini-buses on the weekdays. During this time, I want to check emails and browse websites via high-speed internet. Even I have a cell phone now (with prepaid sim card), I don't make phone calls that often (1-2 calls/week for the time being. Don't expect more than 20 calls as I prefer sms/emails). It is good if I could access the internet and make/receive phone calls anywhere. Which company and service plan do you recommend? I do not know how long I will stay in HK at this point. Could be a few months. Could be a few years. Thanks.

Last edited by hajime; 27-09-2009 at 05:47 PM.

sxc

Look at three HK website for prepaid sim cards that include data. Csl also has them.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Do they have wide coverage?

Thanks for the info. Just came back from a Smartphone store. I told the sales that I don't know how long I will stay here. She told me that for $238/month, I get unlimited data usage plus 1000 (Basic) and 600 (Intra) Voice mins. She said that it is a 18 month plan. If I terminate the plan earlier, the penality is $500. As for the iCombo Plan, I pay $398/month to get unlimited data usage with 1800 (Basic) and 1500 (Intra) voice mins. I can get up to $5388 rebate. However, if I terminate the contract earlier, the penality is $1000.

Here is the confusion point. Assuming that I stay here for half a year.
    For the first plan, I pay $238x6 + $500 = 1928 to use their service for six months. As for the second plan, I pay $398x6 + $1000 = $3388. However, I get a rebate of (up to?) $5388. So, I get $2000 from them while able to use their service for 6 months. Am I missing something?

It seems that only People provides prepaid sim card for both data and voice service. Am I right?

Last edited by hajime; 29-09-2009 at 08:50 PM.

sxc

If you are only in HK a few months, likely you don't have a HK ID card which might cause a problem. If you sign up to a Smartone plan, you will need to direct debit on your credit card, or put down a big deposit. I think you are still better off getting a 3HK prepaid SIM to make your life easy.

three.com.hk 3G ??

Quote Originally Posted by hajime
    Here is the confusion point. Assuming that I stay here for half a year.
    For the first plan, I pay $238x6 + $500 = 1928 to use their service for six months. As for the second plan, I pay $398x6 + $1000 = $3388. However, I get a rebate of (up to?) $5388. So, I get $2000 from them while able to use their service for 6 months. Am I missing something?
    The rebate is deducted every month - so if you only stay 6 months, you will only get 6 months worth of rebate.

I'd go with Peoples myself. At least they have a contract for unlimited data that you can cancel at any time. (Sorry - China Mobile now, I think). But - it's NOT 3G, that's the only drawback. My husband has it. It's fine for emails, phone calls, texts and browsing simple sites. NOT good if you want to use VOIP, videos or the like....

If you buy the iphone from the apple store or similar it should be UNLOCKED so you can use any network. Should work overseas too when you leave.

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07
    I'd go with Peoples myself. At least they have a contract for unlimited data that you can cancel at any time. (Sorry - China Mobile now, I think). But - it's NOT 3G, that's the only drawback. My husband has it. It's fine for emails, phone calls, texts and browsing simple sites. NOT good if you want to use VOIP, videos or the like....

If you buy the iphone from the apple store or similar it should be UNLOCKED so you can use any network. Should work overseas too when you leave.
    Thank you for the info. If it is not 3G, what is it? Can your husband access the internet and use the phone anywhere (including the MTR and green mini-buses)?

By "simple sites", do you mean sites compose of text and photos only?

P.S. I have a HK ID Card.

Quote Originally Posted by hajime
    Thank you for the info. If it is not 3G, what is it? Can your husband access the internet and use the phone anywhere (including the MTR and green mini-buses)?

By "simple sites", do you mean sites compose of text and photos only?

P.S. I have a HK ID Card.
    China Mobile is on 2G EDGE speeds, meaning much slower than the other 3G networks.

Is fine for web browsing, but nothing to intensive with lots of graphics, etc. Also the speed will be slower.

Yes, will be able to use it on the MTR and minibuses as its just another phone network.

Quote Originally Posted by Konijntje
    The rebate is deducted every month - so if you only stay 6 months, you will only get 6 months worth of rebate.
    Thank you very much for the clarification.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast