View Poll Results: Interested in us supporting WiFi PDA / Mobile browsers?

Voters
53. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes -- Treo 650 / 700 User

6 11.32%
  • Yes -- Windows Mobile User

24 45.28%
  • Yes -- Other WiFi PDA User

16 30.19%
  • No! I don't want GeoExpat tracking me on the bus!

7 13.21%

WiFi PDA / Mobile Version of GeoExpat?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

OK. It should do as Opera Mobile does. Yep, I will need https support to get to some of my favourite sites.

Got a Treo 650... will not have a Windows device... of any sort... with the exception of a well-chipped XBox which also runs Linux :-)

The one thing I would ask is that you don't use anything nasty like Avantgo which only allows access through a proprietary client of some sort. And I'd argue that the resolution doesn't matter as much as the HTML complexity supported by the browser, since these things tend to do things like reformatting the page anyway, but the Treo browser is actually pretty capable - it can parse and render the existing pages just fine, except that they take minutes to download at GPRS speeds, and are pretty hard to navigate around.

And honestly - particularly if it's taking up significantly less bandwidth and processing time than the existing code - I personally wouldn't worry too much about monetising it. Slap some google ads on, maybe, try - but not too hard - to restrict it to mobile users, sure, but I'd just make sure that while it's useful, it's obviously a mobile version of the forum, and people should just use the 'real' version when they're on a 'real' computer. The problem with restricting it is that, for example, I spent quite a while using a Linux PDA, and while obviously it's a pretty small niche (although apparently a very fast growing one), I could be using any one of about 4 or 5 browsers on there, all of which would want a mobile-oriented site, but few if any of which would be likely to show up on any pre-arranged list of mobile access types.

Definately got a new version of geoexpat in the plans for mobile users.

No google ads for now -- 50-60K.

Seriously, if anyone has a good contact with a telco or mobile device manufacturer like Palm -- I'd love to just stick ONE or TWO rotating adverts on there and give them exclusive access.

Hold on a second... my Treo650 doesn't have a wi-fi... built-in, I mean.

And the hack to enable an external Wifi device doesnt work either from what I hear.

My Opera for Mobiles 14-day trial has expired and Pocket IE can't display your pages so I'm stuffed until you get a slim version out.

Soon .. busy with a huge upgrade on shopinhk.com ... which normally takes priority given that it is one of our revenue channels.

mobile.geoexpat.com will be online mid november.

By the way, Smartone / Vodaphone has pissed me off .. "sir the unlimited package is only for browsing our website"... when I tried to signup.

Browsing their website would take 15 minutes at most - and how much do they want to give you that privilege?

"Only $168 a month sir."

Heh, my o2 mini xda works great on Sunday...unlimited GPRS rocks