It happened again - mobile lost in taxi... :-(

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Ah well ING home insurance does, worth a try I'd say, if they don't then it's not worse than the actual situation.

i have lost 3 mobile phones already. 1 in a taxi, 1 in a bar and 1 was stolen in causeway bay. now i'm v. careful in keeping my phone. always check before leaving the taxi (u know, nowadays, selling passengers' phones become one of the side business of taxi drivers in hk. dun dream about getting back once u leave it there) also, be more careful when u r wondering around causeway bay, wanchai and mongkok. there are some "professionals" who steals phones within less than a second.

Having lost three phones you are hardly the best person to be giving out advice!

Hind Sight -- 20/20

id say one of those necklace or armwrist mobiles should be something for you guys n girls.
    Shouldent be to easy for them to fall off.
    Or an ericsson NTM HOTline 450 http://www.mforum.ru/news/photos/0410220017l.jpg
    http://www.mforum.ru/news/photos/0410220019l.jpg
    the share size of it would make it impossible to remain undetected in a car. Plus im sure the taxidriver would be happy to return such a pice of super outmoded hardware to you, at not cost what so ever.

Just to say we got cabs back from Aberdeen on Friday night, and one of my companions (a Greek French Canadian called Bill) left his phone - noticed maybe 20-30 minutes later. We called the phone, and obviously got a vaguely honest (gullible?) taxi driver, who brought it back, to be given a 'tip' of a couple of hundred dollars... We offered it, maybe before he asked, and it was far less than the cost and hassle of a replacement phone, particularly for someone who is only passing through HK so would have to get a new SIM from Canada, eh?

I have the same thoughts. Surely a taxi driver would be better off doing that than risking being caught trying to sell property that has been left in his car when he should have handed it in to the (cough) taxi union or police station.
    He wouldn't use it and his buyer is probably a dealer so how much can he get - a few hundred.
    It might be a good idea for us to use the sim lock in future eh? (what's with all this Canadian speak - eh)

you didn't happen to purchase the phone using an American Express card?

My cards all do theft/loss protection for 90 days after a product is purchased. (Amex Blue, Amex Starwood, Amex Plat, Amex Cent)

C

You're right cheese. Amex offer exceptional protection but it is limited to 90 days. General insurance policies not covering mobile phones is just unacceptable. If your pda can make calls it is also treated as a mobile phone by the PRU.

yea. I've used the different AMEX protections three times now.

Once using the damage protection. My new MP3 player got dropped when I was running and it stopped working. AMEX just credited me back the money and I got a new one.

Once when I had a router explode after a power surge. AMEX did the same thing and just credited me back the cash.

and the last time was when I had my graphing calculator stollen last year. I had just gotten it for my calc class and it was like 120 bucks. But Amex covered it.

I figure with just those three transactions I have paid for all of the annual fees of my cards. So I'm very happy with them

c

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast