Smartone vs CSL

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Smartone vs CSL

Today OFTA has published a judgement against Smartone and one of its salesmen who told some corporate customers about a network upgrade that CSL was planning (using cheap Chinese ZTE gear rather than solid stuff from Nokia), and suggesting that this would lead to a loss of quality of CSL's service. OFTA found this to be unfounded speculation and has fined Smartone.

However, the "upgrade" has recently been taking place, and the experience of me and a friend who is also on CSL is that the Smartone guy was absolutely correct: in my case I now have unusable coverage in places where I had coverage before (in the FCC to give a specific example) and my friend went several days unable to receive inbound calls at home (DB), and still has intermittent problems.

So shouldn't the fact that the salesman's professional judgement was proven correct be a valid defence?

(And has anyone else noticed the problems with CSL in the last couple of weeks?)

There was an article a few weeks ago about this CSL upgrade and they interviewed people from the company. It was all around their marketting of their touted 21 megabit service.

They were saying they ha gone to ZTE cause of quality and cost, or something like that.
    Posted via Mobile Device

I agree - voice quality is now pretty poor sometimes. It's a great shame because CSL used to be the best mobile operator in HK by a long way (in terms of quality - price to match).

It's pretty easy to move carriers anyway - there's full number portability here. It's contract terms and penalty clauses that are the problem.

I'm not sure where you stand legally if you claim that CSL is no longer supplying the quality of service that they did when you signed up and hence you want out of the contract. I'd be interested to hear if anyone has tried that route.

Last edited by PDLM; 23-10-2009 at 11:04 PM.

I was with CSL a few years back and I remember they a liqudated damages clause in their contract allowing you to cancel by paying the equivalant of two months rental.

Something maybe to check in your contracts.
    Posted via Mobile Device

So, it's time to switch for 3 here in Hong Kong now. ex-Nokia network gear, today called Nokia Siemens Networks modernizes 3's network in Hong Kong. Have look on this press release:

[url=http://www.cn-c114.net/577/a443946.html]Nokia Siemens Named Hutchison Telecom Hong Kong 3G Vendor - Equipment\cn-c114

FOR ME NOT AT ALL IT IS STILL FINE BUT I AM SWITCHING TO ANOTHER CARRIER NEXT YEAR WHEN MY CONTRACT IS FINISHED WITH THEM. THEY CHARGED HORRENDOUS BILLS ESP. WHEN YOU ARE OUT OF THE COUNTRY.... SO MANY ADDITIONAL CHARGES THAT SHOCKED ME AND HAVE TO CALL THE HOTLINE WHAT IS GOING ON WHY MY BILL RISEN UP 10 TIMES....

Every carrier will do that - roaming is horribly expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by WilsonWong:
    How come CSL's network has become so bad these years. It was previously the best. I changed my mobile operator just because CSL was to expensive and I have other better choice.
    as pdlm mentioned, might be something to do with ZTE being their hardware supplier.

Quote Originally Posted by pin:
    as pdlm mentioned, might be something to do with ZTE being their hardware supplier.
    Yes, ZTE gave their network hardware for free to get CSL as their reference.

If true, it's really quite sad to see that Telstra (CSL's owners) have fallen to such an extent that they accept something like that.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast