iPhone functions

Reply
  1. #1

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    4,279

    iPhone functions

    Which model to go for 3G or 3GS? I have no experience of iPhones and none of my friends have one (sad aren't I?).

    I currently have a Nokia E71 and though it has a 2 Megapixel camera the pictures are rather average (especially in low light). The 3G has a 2MP camera too but maybe its pictures are better (because of the lens); or maybe I should look at the 3GS for its 3MP camera.

    Is the speed of the 3GS really that much better than the older model?

    Is the price differential worth it?


  2. #2

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    13,687
    Quote Originally Posted by discobay
    Which model to go for 3G or 3GS? I have no experience of iPhones and none of my friends have one (sad aren't I?).

    I currently have a Nokia E71 and though it has a 2 Megapixel camera the pictures are rather average (especially in low light). The 3G has a 2MP camera too but maybe its pictures are better (because of the lens); or maybe I should look at the 3GS for its 3MP camera.

    Is the speed of the 3GS really that much better than the older model?

    Is the price differential worth it?
    I've had both, and personally for me I found the speed to be much faster on the 3gs.

    Also its just generally more powerful, and feels a bit smoother.

    Whether its worth the price difference, I'm not too sure. For me, I thought it was, however only just. I was quite torn actually whether it was worth the extra money.

    In the end I decided it was.

    But saying that you can get some good deals on second hand 3g 8gb models at the moment, so bear that in mind.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    4,279

    When you say 2nd-hand do you mean eBay or on the street? Is the 8GB model just a memory-limited version or are there other differences?
    Posted via Mobile Device


  4. #4

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,683
    Quote Originally Posted by discobay
    When you say 2nd-hand do you mean eBay or on the street? Is the 8GB model just a memory-limited version or are there other differences?
    The 3GS (the "S" stands for speed) has different hardware, like a faster processor, more RAM and a different graphics chip.
    It's also said to have a better power management, i.e. the battery should last longer as compared to the 3G.

    I have the 2G and the 3G was never something I was much interested in but I would take a 3GS immediately if mine breaks down, unless or course something newer and better is out by then.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    98

    Get the 3GS, games load faster and browsing and overall speed is much smoother.

    3GS are only available on 16/32 GB models, forget about the 8G, thats only 3G.


  6. #6

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    4,279

    Apple sell the iPhone unlocked but others sell it unlocked too for more $. Why is that?


  7. #7

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Gold Coast Marina
    Posts
    17,970
    Quote Originally Posted by discobay
    Apple sell the iPhone unlocked but others sell it unlocked too for more $. Why is that?
    Because you can walk away with it rather than waiting for 1-2 weeks.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Gold Coast Marina
    Posts
    17,970
    Quote Originally Posted by JaneC
    Really? I thought the price of Apple and other official resellers are just the same.
    I think it might lie in the word "official" ... the people who have them in stock are not official, they are making a buck out of the wait!

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    in an underground bunker at an undisclosed location
    Posts
    2,078
    Quote Originally Posted by discobay
    I currently have a Nokia E71 and though it has a 2 Megapixel camera the pictures are rather average (especially in low light). The 3G has a 2MP camera too but maybe its pictures are better (because of the lens); or maybe I should look at the 3GS for its 3MP camera.
    I thought the Nokia E71 had a 3.2 Megapixel camera with flash?

    Nokia E71 - Technical specifications - Nokia

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,683

    The 2MP camera on the iPhone (2G/3G) is crap.