Like Tree1Likes

are Home Internet, Phone & TV all in one line ?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

are Home Internet, Phone & TV all in one line ?

i want to understand how Internet NowNetvigator, Home Phone HGC, & NowTV cable are wired into the home . from what i can see there are 4 pairs of wires for communications, but only one pair is used.

does that mean all communications (internet, phone & tv ) run on only one pair ?

Yes in most cases. If you have anything from CableTV that comes in down a different route (coax rather than twisted pair).

yes, welcome to the world of technology. And I hope some day we will do away with the last pair

so if my internet is working , and my tv is working , that should mean the cable is in good working condition , and that the phone should not have a problem working correctly on the same line ?

Quote Originally Posted by WalkAbout:
    so if my internet is working , and my tv is working , that should mean the cable is in good working condition , and that the phone should not have a problem working correctly on the same line ?
    Maybe. There are various ways this can all be done technically, complicated by the fact that you get your phone service from a different company from the Internet/TV. It isn't necessarily simple. If they are coming down the same pair of wires then you should have a Filter in the wall socket with one cable going off to the Netvigator DSL modem, and the other to your phone. If all you have there is a splitter then things will not work correctly - picking up the phone might disconnect the broadband, and there might be loads of noise on voice calls (if they are indeed possible at all).

u describe my problem exactly

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    Maybe. There are various ways this can all be done technically, complicated by the fact that you get your phone service from a different company from the Internet/TV. It isn't necessarily simple. If they are coming down the same pair of wires then you should have a Filter in the wall socket with one cable going off to the Netvigator DSL modem, and the other to your phone. If all you have there is a splitter then things will not work correctly - picking up the phone might disconnect the broadband, and there might be loads of noise on voice calls (if they are indeed possible at all).
    all i do have is a splitter and things are not working correctly. HGC has not been able to solve problems with the phone for 4months, since moving into the new flat.

maybe a change to PCCW would work making the internet and tv + phone all the same provider maybe they could more easily sort this problem out ???

thanks everyone for the information as i had to understand more about the communication wiring in the flat.

The "splitter" should say on it that it is a "DSL filter" or something like that. It is needed to separate the low frequency voice signals from the very high frequency data signals.

Yes, getting the phone from PCCW would probably make it easier.

Have HGC tried using the spare pair for the phone connection? (You'd need a double socket on the wall then)

I need to get internet / tv in my new flat. Do any companies offer a flex plan or only 1 year. I don't want to commit to a 2 year plan. Any suggestions?

the splitter/filter does say DSL , and the phone is plugged into the phone port of the filter

i am not sure if the tech tried other pairs. it seems as though other wires have been tried as there are many visits where there is work with the wires. unfortunately there is only one socket/box on the wall with communication wires.

the tech cannot speak english tech talk , so there is a huge void of tech q&a. the tech can usually speak basic customer service issues.

They all offer flex plans, but they are very expensive. You need to pay a one-time installation fee and then a high monthly charge. I haven't done the sums but I suspect if you spend more than about 9 months on a "flexible" package then you'd have been better off paying for the 18 month commitment.

For TV you almost certainly want NOW if you want anything since that's where the most English channels are.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast