Like Tree1Likes

iPhone on CSL

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

iPhone on CSL

Sorry to add yet another iPhone thread to the board but I need some advice please!

I currently have a CSL contract for another year but have finally given in to my desire to get myself an iPhone. What I want to know is: can I use I just take the SIM out of my current phone and stick it into an iPhone or do I need to get a new contract with 3 or Vodafone?

I don't think CSL currently sell iPhones but shouldn't an unlocked one work on any network?

Tried asking at a CSL shop but they were't particularly helpful!

Contrary to what the shills from one of the telcos would have you believe, you do not need an account with 3 or Vodaphone to use an iPhone.

A CSL account will work just fine as long as you have a data subscription. I've let people test CSL and People's sims on my 3G ipHone.

Borrow a friend's iphone and try it ...

Quote Originally Posted by shri
    Contrary to what the shills from one of the telcos would have you believe, you do not need an account with 3 or Vodaphone to use an iPhone.

A CSL account will work just fine as long as you have a data subscription. I've let people test CSL and People's sims on my 3G ipHone.

Borrow a friend's iphone and try it ...
    Well, not quite true Shri.

If the iphone is ulocked, then yes, no problems it will work on CSL or any other GSM network in the world.

However as the OP has said he/she expects to use it on an unlocked phone.

BTW I have used a CSL sim card on my iphone without any problem.

To get internet access, you need to enter the following APN: "hkcsl", no password required.

Like the guy said ..

but shouldn't an unlocked one work on any network
    If the phone was locked, then the only telco locking the phones would be 3. They would not work on voda either.

just to show i'm a real ignoramus here.. i'd assumed an unlocked iPhone would function the same as any unlocked phone (all the basics like getting the internet/wap settings put it manually aside). ie, i had assumed i could use an iPhone with my HKCSL SIM card, then when travelling to Oz place my telstra SIM, then put my "3" SIM if i was really on a SIM swinging mode... however, someone I assumed knew more than me so convincingly advised me that this was not so - they rightfully or wrongly advised me that once a SIM was placed in an iPhone, it was locked (or something!!) to that network.

Now this sounds like twaddle to me, but... O' wise ones? Pray tell me?

they rightfully or wrongly advised me that once a SIM was placed in an iPhone, it was locked (or something!!) to that network.
    Wrong. An iPhone is a simple 3G phone once you take away its Jesus qualities (which do not need a SIM).

If your iPhone is unlocked, you can use any SIM you want on it and you can change SIMs.

Thanks very much for all your help!

I can now go and spend huge amounts of money on a gadget without concern!

Quote Originally Posted by shri
    Wrong. An iPhone is a simple 3G phone once you take away its Jesus qualities (which do not need a SIM).

If your iPhone is unlocked, you can use any SIM you want on it and you can change SIMs.
    so it was twaddle. that's what i thought. thanks Shri.

>> I can now go and spend huge amounts of money on a gadget without concern!

Ask the salesguy to let you test the phone with your CSL sim.

fth

I have been using a "hacked" UK o2 iPhone on CSL (Google "dev team blog") here in HK.

Everything works well except

1. You need to turn off 3G to get the maps working properly
    2. The voicemail function doesn't seem to be compatible with the iphone's function (dial 988 instead)

The only other caveat is when roaming is that CSL charge a huge amount for data roaming and won't give a "blackberry" package .

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast