Moving, can I keep my beloved iphone?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Moving, can I keep my beloved iphone?

I'm going to be moving to HK in Jan and I'm wondering what my options are for phone service. I've been looking around on the forums but just getting mostly overwhelmed by all the information.

My current situation is US plan with the carrier AT&T, unlimited data and text messaging with my iphone 3GS. I use this phone constantly/obsessively for email, internet, texting, taking pictures, apps etc.

I'm paying right around US$90/month (~HK$700) for this and I would like to continue to enjoy the same things I've been using my phone for in the states for roughly the same price point (or less obviously).

I'm planning on using skype to stay in touch with Americans so I really just need to be able to use my phone with other hongkongers and possibly in surrounding asian countries for weekend travels.

Should I try to bring my iphone with me? Are there better alternatives (plans, actual phones)? I tried talking to At&T about international plans and that's just not going to happen with plans around 3x my current rate.

Any help would greatly be appreciated! I just joined the site and everyone seems amazingly helpful, I'm glad to be part of the geoexpat community.

Laura

Keep the phone, unlock it and stick a HK SIM in it here. Want 3G, well it's everywhere here - BUT - be careful which plan you get. There are advertised plans from less than HK$200, which promise unlimited but the reality is it is simple HTML viewed downloads. For real unlimited look at HK$400 or so a month with no restrictions.

Unlimited texts - unless with same operator do not exist. For serious data speeds look at Vodafone or 3. If you're HK side I'd say Vodafone, if Kowloon / NT take 3.

Thanks so much for your quick reply!

Is texting not a popular method of communicating amongst 20-somethings in hong kong? Perhaps I should consider that... I can't believe they don't have unlimited to all carrier plans!

Are the plans binding to a time frame such as 1 or 2 year plans or will I be able to pay per month?

AT&T Iphones are normally locked in the USA, and won't accept other SIM cards. Depending on your phones age and the risk of breaking your warranty / apple care package, you may want to consider either a) unlocking it for free, using dev-team's yellowsn0w or ultrasn0w (breaching warranty etc) b) paying at&t for a factory unlock if they do this or c) sell your us phone and buy one in hong kong. Do not use any sim chip solutions or pay for cheap online unlocks. They don't always work.
    Posted via Mobile Device

A quick google of the operators here in HK will have all the answers to your questions, well most of them anyway: Smartone-Vodafone, 3HK, CSL (under 1010 and one2free brands), PCCW, Peoples (going through re-brand to China Mobile), New World.

Quote Originally Posted by fth:
    AT&T Iphones are normally locked in the USA, and won't accept other SIM cards. Depending on your phones age and the risk of breaking your warranty / apple care package, you may want to consider either a) unlocking it for free, using dev-team's yellowsn0w or ultrasn0w (breaching warranty etc) b) paying at&t for a factory unlock if they do this or c) sell your us phone and buy one in hong kong. Do not use any sim chip solutions or pay for cheap online unlocks. They don't always work.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    FYI....using the devteam pwnagetool does NOT void warranty. if you ever get in a run of things, just restore to factory default in itunes, and then bring phone in for repair. many have done this already with ZERO problems.

for the OP....
    why would you keep the AT&T service? if you are moving here then just unlock it using pwnagetool (very simple and nearly impossible to brick your iphone) and use any sim card you want here. they all offer different and similar services to choose from. prices are far cheaper here for data and voice.

SMS is free within the same carrier...but to outside carriers the price varies (but still extremely cheap).

Quote Originally Posted by jaykay:
    Keep the phone, unlock it and stick a HK SIM in it here. Want 3G, well it's everywhere here - BUT - be careful which plan you get. There are advertised plans from less than HK$200, which promise unlimited but the reality is it is simple HTML viewed downloads. For real unlimited look at HK$400 or so a month with no restrictions.

Unlimited texts - unless with same operator do not exist. For serious data speeds look at Vodafone or 3. If you're HK side I'd say Vodafone, if Kowloon / NT take 3.
    Actually real unlimited is about HK$250 a month on SMV (which is what I'm using). This is without phone btw, i.e. have to bring your own phone to the network (which is what you are doing).

Quote Originally Posted by pin:
    Actually real unlimited is about HK$250 a month on SMV (which is what I'm using). This is without phone btw, i.e. have to bring your own phone to the network (which is what you are doing).
    Really, I'll have to take a look at that. SMV are the only ones which have not updated their tariff details with us for last 6 months (despite frequent requests), so can only go by their website which is still listing unlimited 3G as $488/month.

OK on the jailbreak / unlock I had been warned in other forums that there is a risk, but no certaintly.

For the OP more info on the unlock is here Dev-Team Blog, beware through, refrain from updating your firmware / software for your iphone automatically. Apple have been playing a cat and mouse game with the hackers.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast