E72 Nokia or Blackberry Bold 9700

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

It's possible, but not straight out of the box. Allegedly!

I'm not a big BB fan, they are hindered by their OS but have less of an excuse than Nokia to be so. However all the providers have some sort of BB plan nowadays so not too much of an issue.

Nokia is not bad. I bought iPhone this week, and found that Nokia actually is very user friendly.

From iPhone, you can not attach documents in to the emails. You first need for example have the picture, and send that one-by-one. You can use Nokia email client more like to normal computer.

iPhone does not synchronize over bluetooth, for example pictures and videos has to be transferred to computer by cable.

Nokia e72 has fast 3G with 10Mb download speed. This is far better than any of the competitors. In case the network connection is sufficient, e72 has the fastest 3G on the planet. Period.

iPhone does not support flash, except on the youtube. So you can not see other videos on iPhone, but you can do with Nokia.

There are many things that I THOUGHT iPhone has, but in reality it doesn't. I thought iPhone has superior email and internet features, but in techical terms Nokia has more features, better performance and is more usable. Nokia can even syncronize iTunes playlist easily; a feature that doesn´t come to your mind before you try and learn. Naturally iPhone does that as well, but in HK there are limitations in the iTunes store; something that doesn't come to your mind before you try.

What comes to phone selection; go out and try all the features that you might want to use in the future.

Cant you just install Opera or any other 3rd party web browsing program on the iPhone with a unlimited data plan, that will solve any "unable to view flash" problems?

Not a iPhone fan and I dont feel like being cool because everyone has one, my E71 works fine, as the old say goes...

"If its not broken, dont fix it"....

people, stop trying to get your phone to work like a laptop and expect no problems, it aint happening....

Maybe I'm old school, I still prefer buying my CD's, ripping it to my PC's MP3 collection and moving the songs over to my phone whenever I feel like listening to it, just the whole online shopping = paying for something but I have nothing in my hand feels weird, I like holding something that I have paid for rather then it just being something I own on my hard disk that is identified in the end as a bunch of 1's & 0's..

I'm after a phone that can handle IM (AIM/MSN) and email (IMAP4 AOL, Gmail etc). I am currently using a HTC S740 which works great for IM but its horrible for email.

I was looking at switching to a BB or the E72. How good does the E72 handle email & IM? Are there any good external clients that work better. Are any of you guys using IM+ on the symbian OS.

Thanks

Cant you just install Opera or any other 3rd party web browsing program on the iPhone with a unlimited data plan, that will solve any "unable to view flash" problems?
    Apple does not allow competing / similar applications on the iPhone. Since Opera competes with Safari it is not allowed.

Java and Flash are not allowed either.

Quote Originally Posted by JaredHK:
    I'm after a phone that can handle IM (AIM/MSN) and email (IMAP4 AOL, Gmail etc). I am currently using a HTC S740 which works great for IM but its horrible for email.

I was looking at switching to a BB or the E72. How good does the E72 handle email & IM? Are there any good external clients that work better. Are any of you guys using IM+ on the symbian OS.

Thanks
    you don't have to change phone to do IM....

Just get fring, www.fring.com

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Apple does not allow competing / similar applications on the iPhone. Since Opera competes with Safari it is not allowed.

Java and Flash are not allowed either.
    Oh that's just peachy..

Thanks
    Not sure about the E72 but since it's basically an upgraded version of the E71 (the one I have), It should not be that much difference.

There's a MSN client that came with my old E61i that I am still using as of today, looks like and works just like MSN, should be on the Nokia site somewhere, if you cant find it, let me know.. or you can use a all in one app ICQ, MSN, AIM (think palringo has something like this or as previous poster mentioned).

As for email, I find the email app on the nokia phones to be more friendly, yes it looks old and dumb, but who cares if it works? it looks like Office 97 (my email app) compared to Office 2008 (others Ive seen on iPhone or HTC), it works with hotmail and any email that supports "pop", I dont have AOL or gmail so I cant tell you for sure.

Just a side note, I dont have any problems using the local built in email app, or the internet browser for that matter, tho I prefer to use Opera just as a personal preference.

There's a Nokia store right across from times square that has a few on display which you can take for a test drive, picture or live demo = 1000 words

It's just a phone dude. Calls email & text - strewth - two cans and a bit of string.

The built-in Nokia email app is slow and makes the E71 hang. Profimail is the way to go. The built-in browser is ok but Opera Mini is faster (once it's loaded).

Thanks for the tip on the store. Test drove the Nokia and didn't like it that much so I headed over to MKK Sincere and picked up the Bold 9700 Unlocked (AT&T).

Then I headed over to China Mo and the guy there informed me politely that the Pin was locked to the US. I called the store from China Mo and the owner gave the guy at China Mo a list of Pins and they were all locked. I ended up going back and adding a few hundred for a CSL unlocked local model. While I was there several expats were at the store yelling at the guy about the lock. He was refunding in full as it seems that after shipping the units over the supplier in the US used the pin's.

So if anyone is planning on picking up a unlocked BB please watch out for this. Sorry for rambling on about this but I thought i'd warn anyone planning to pick up one of these off Yahoo or any auctions.