CSL LTE (4G) new network in HK

Closed Thread

CSL LTE (4G) new network in HK

Hong Kong operator CSL has started deployment of LTE in a six month trial which is expected to be followed by a full commercial service.

However company executives, speaking at Mobile World Congress in Barcelona, were reluctant to give details about prices or the precise roll-out date. The service will be tried by friendly users before a commercial launch.
    CSL testing LTE ready for HK launch | Global Telecoms Business

Any guesses what devices are going to support LTE? LTE by default doesn't support voice and two new competing standards have been proposed.

Are they expecting netbook users to be streaming HD video at Pacific Coffee? How much demand is there for 2mb+ connections outside of file sharing?

Is ZTE the hardware supplier?

Quote Originally Posted by pin:
    Is ZTE the hardware supplier?
    What does the sentence after the headline say?

Quote Originally Posted by Raccon:
    What does the sentence after the headline say?
    Ah yes, they are:

"CSL is using ZTE equipment for the LTE trial — the same company that supplies its HSPA system. LTE is running on the same backhaul network, said Daigneault. “There’s a life of many years to come in HSPA. We’ll use LTE in the high capacity areas. This is one of the features we’ve been testing.”"

Just received an SMS from CSL regarding the 4G LTE mobile broadband service plan ($399 for 100Mbps). Is it worth it?

I'm paying about $200 for 2mbps speeds from PCCW (8M broadband) so I think it's probably worth it from my point of view.

I'm not sure, but you might want to research the effect 4G has on battery life. 3G when it was a new technology had a big impact on bettery life.

Also, what will stuff like network coverage and network congestion be like?