Slingbox - TV from 'back home' to anywhere via the internet

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Wes

Thumbs up Slingbox - TV from 'back home' to anywhere via the internet

I just discovered Slingbox today when a friend told me about it - basically it is a box that will code video signals and broadcast them over the internet to your PC wherever you are. So, you could have a cable box back in Texas connected to this thing (which is connected to your router), and you could watch the broadcast (and change channels) on your PC from any place where you have a high speed internet connection. It even supports TiVo.

My wife's folks have pretty much all the infrastructure at their house to run this thing, so I'm thinking about getting it.

The friend that I was talking to has one connected to a cable box back in NY and watches it here (via Netvigator). Anyone else here doing this? It seems like it would be worth the $250.

I'm waiting for this to sort of go mainstream.

http://products.sel.sony.com/locatio...tectflash.html

Its turned into a pretty big hit in places like Taiwan and Japan with people who travel a lot and want to tune into local programs.

Hi there,

I was using my slingbox when i was on my trip to hk. Using a wireless network, i found the video to be a bit choppy. My signal wasn't the strongest though. Also, make sure that you have a good upload speed from the source for best picture quality. The slingbox is one cool device.

thanks

I am interested to get one of these but could someone answer a couple of questions:

1) The decoder box is connected to a cable box in the US (or wherever) - can the people at the origin point watch whatever Channel A while I log in from HK and watch Channel B, or do we have to be watching the same thing?

2) Is it fairly simple to do the connection - and it this at all considered skirting the law, such as downloading BTs, or is this perfectly legal?

3) Are there any monthly fees to be paid like with TIVO, or do you just need to purchase the decoder box?

4) Is there a way to test the upload speed at the origin point, and what is the "real minimum" speed needed for clear and uninterrupted viewing/listening?

Would love to hear how this is working out for people, as I miss my US TV.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by jaetee; 08-01-2006 at 07:11 PM.

There is a company in Dallas,Tx offering decoders that plug into your internet line and let you watch most US channels for a small fee. I have had no luck finding these guys and plan to do some research when I get back home to Texas in a few weeks.

HK TV sucks and the only other option at the moment is BT feeds.

J

Jared, definitely let us know. I'd love to be able to watch US cable here!

I am using Slingbox right now, the picture quality is clear
    I have a 6M broadband from netvigator, and i get a steam of 350kbps
    as shown on the slingbox meter.

It is great. The only problem is that i have to fight/share over the control
    of our cable box in the US with my niece who watches a lot of cartoons
    so another option is to have another cable set top box specifically for my slingbox.

Either that or start watching Nickelodeon

chikakeru,
    could you answer some of the questions i posted above since you are using the slingbox?
    thanks very much.

Related to jaetee's first questions, is it possible to control the channels on the cable box remotely?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast