Like Tree1Likes

Sin Tat in Mongkok

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by HKChigger:
    Apliu Street, all along the sides of the streets they have people selling second hand phones from stalls. Not stores, they are little booths.

Ask them for the iPhone 3G, check out the quality and ask the price, then bargain.
    How do you know if those booths didnt change the batteries and parts? cuz Sin tat is like that too, 3 floors of ppl selling phones

Quote Originally Posted by Morrek111:
    How do you know if those booths didnt change the batteries and parts? cuz Sin tat is like that too, 3 floors of ppl selling phones
    Because a lot of people will buy mobile phones in Sham Shui Po, nobody wants to buy in Sin Tat because they have a reputation of messing with peoples phones. That doesn't promise you anything, but your chances of issues from Sin Tat is around 9x% greater than Sham Shui Po.

It sounds to me like you want to buy at Sin Tat, so why ask for peoples advice if you are so set on Sin Tat?

Well, I only wanted to buy from SinTat if that was the only choice, but i really didnt prefer too, and most places I went to, had the grey import price or regular price so yea, but i can go to that place tomorrow, but do you remember the booth you bought from, or do they all look the same lol also i wanted to know abt the Sony Xperia 10 but w/e

Well, I only wanted to buy from SinTat if that was the only choice, but i really didnt prefer too, and most places I went to, had the grey import price or regular price so yea, but i can go to that place tomorrow, but do you remember the booth you bought from, or do they all look the same lol also i wanted to know abt the Sony Xperia 10 but w/e
    Not sure about the Sony mate. Otherwise just any booth should be ok. Just make sure you check your phone carefully.

Not sure about the Sony mate. Otherwise just any booth should be ok. Just make sure you check your phone carefully.
    Well since you bought a phone from there any advise on how to INSPECT an used iphone? but other than that, Thanks

Well since you bought a phone from there any advise on how to INSPECT an used iphone? but other than that, Thanks
    Try out all the features and check the model number.

Back in Toronto now - after 10 1/2 years in HK
    The Hong Kong version is unlocked, you are not required to jailbreak it. If you buy from Sin Tat you need to jailbreak the iphone everytime you want to upgrade the software. If Apple releases a future software that somehow blocks jailbreaking you will not be able to upgrade to the latest software ever.

Do you even know how to check clearly if all the parts inside your iPhone are legit? or opening it is proof that it is real?

At least you have a warranty if you buy here. If I were on a budget I would go to Apliu street in Sham Shui Po to buy a second hand Hong Kong version, over a new import any day.

I bought a 3Gs 16GB last week in Sham Shui Po for $4100 FYI. I would expect 8GB 3G to be around $1000 less or so. (Second hand of course, but at least Hong Kong version)

Double check the version. Go to Settings>General >About
    Read the model number, if it ends in LL or ZP it is Hong Kong version.
    Last night a store, not booth (latter were packing up earlier around 8-30pm or so Monday night) while showing me some phones also showed me a used iPhone 3GS 16GB in very good physical and working condition; model ended in LL. The salesman, who wasn't doing a hard-sell, said it wasn't a Hong Kong iPhone, but imported from the US, with no warranty at hand (probably expired he said), and with 'sim unlock' done to it. It had two screens of free apps. When asked what would happen if wanted to clean those out and did a factory reset. He recommended only clearing the contents but not factory reset otherwise I'd have to get 'sim unlocked' again myself. That didn't square with with the info above - an ...LL phone not being a HK one and having been sim-unlocked instead of coming unlocked, so I gave it a rest for now. HKChigger, do you think he could be right or giving me incorrect info? Many thanks.

Hello,

Actually did you see the model number ending in LL? If you did it should be the Hong Kong model. Obviously if the salesperson said it is from USA they have reason to believe it is not from Hong Kong. Hong Kong's model numbers have always ended in ZP, but recently LL has actually been used as well which means if it ends in LL it should also be Hong Kong version.

Obviously if it is a Hong Kong version the benefit is you have no need to jailbreak/unlock which means you can update the software as new releases comes out and if Apple finds a way to patch things so it cannot be jailbroken you will not have a useless phone.

With that being said, the difference in price is basically none, and if you buy a 3GS as long as it has not been tampered with or dropped in water it will still have a warranty. (Standard one year warranty, which you can buy a second year warranty within that year for $4xx)

Bottom line is if the sales person is telling you it is USA version and you see a model number ending in ZP or LL, the salesperson is wrong.

Also have a look at the box (if it comes with box). Based on the box you can tell it is Hong Kong version, there is no company branding. (Like AT&T in the US for example) There is English and Chinese on the back of the box and manuals and obviously comes with HK charger.

HKFella likes this.

Back in Toronto now - after 10 1/2 years in HK

Thanks for the info, HKChigger. Yes I saw the model number myself in Settings - ended in LL. The next time I'm there I'll ask to be shown the box and charger.

how much is the iphone 3gs 16gb now in sham shui po?
    what about the 3g? thanks guys