Second Hand Phones

Question Second Hand Phones

Everytime I walk around Sam Shui Po the 2nd hand phones on small stalls always gets me curious. I ask the sellers and they all give you a week's return period. The phones are selling a bit cheaper than most online classified adds.

Anyway just out of curiosity are those stalls reliable at all?

btw my cantonese is -5.

was there yesterday and they are as u said second hand phones, HK people love changing phones, anything new comes out, they usually sell of the old one to get a new one, best thing to do it try out the functions there and then and they usually give you a 7 day period to try it out as they say but if u find a problem they might not give you a refund but let you choose another model that they have.

second hand shops are either a hit or miss and depends on your luck and knowledge of the phones.

Generally I find them quite reliable. As always make sure to check the phone carefully before paying and try to bargain a little.

Well i just came back from Sam Shui Po, bought a lightly used IPhone 3G 8GB, it works fine so far, but the guy at the shop promised me if i didnt like it, he wud give me 2400HKD back, and i paid 2700HKD, so you just needa bargain

I always buy 2nd hand sets and let other suckers be the beta testers who discover all the bugs. Typically after 18 months there will be a consensus on whether a phone is any good and whether all the bugs have been fixed.

I find the best thing is to buy top of the range phones. You pay a low price, you upgrade the firmware using the vendors Updater end up with a great handset.

In sham shui po it is extremely unlikely phones have the latest firmware, So be shure you upgrade it. Sony Ericson phones can always be upgraded, Nokia's only non-operator can be upgraded without the service centers help.

That's not a bad price for an iphone Morrek. Might check phones there instead of buying a new one at a crazy price. Im thinking of upgrading my mobile but don't really have a big budget.

BTW, on a similar note, how's CITILINK? Their prices are cheaper than other shops and they say that the items are b.new. Is there anything im missing? They sell a Tattoo for 19xx while smartone sells for 29xx!

Quote Originally Posted by Fenix2:
    Nokia's only non-operator can be upgraded without the service centers help.
    Not sure what you mean by "non-operator can be upgraded", but I have bought nokia phones from one2free and from vendor / resellers and was able to upgrade them without a problem, you have to install the nokia PC suite and nokia's update manager, both are separate software that can be obtained from nokia's website.

As soon as the GSM operator Eg Vodafone tells Nokia not to provide any more support for the phones it sold you can't reflash the phone. Phones sold by nokia or non Operator channel and phones that have been service by Nokia care don't have this issue.

This is one very dodgy issue Nokia's have when you buy a 2nd hand one, make sure there are no Operator customizations, branding etc.

You are aware that operator locked phones in HK are as rare as hen's teeth. I've never yet seen a Nokia of any age here that cannot be upgraded to latest firmware. Maybe where you cone from that is true but not HK.
    Posted via Mobile Device

The phone is not operator locked.

From the Software Update FAQ

"Other people can update their software but I cannot. What's wrong?
    Update availability is based on many things, including existing Nokia device firmware version, country, and operator. It may be due to one of these variables that your Nokia device isn't eligible for updates.

Please note that your mobile service provider, operator, or carrier may not have approved the latest Nokia device firmware available.

Nokia produces many different variants of each product (for different countries and languages) and not all variants have the latest Nokia device firmware. It is our priority to update all variants as quickly as possible, and we apologize for any delay. New software may become available at a later date, however, so please check again soon."

Nokia Care told me they could not do the firmware update and I had to do it myself. Vodafone said they would not do it. Nokia software updater says, can update the phone due Vodafone not approving the update. So there. Maybe it is a Vodafone thing.