Buying electronics at the airport?

Question Buying electronics at the airport?

I'll be travelling to shanghai through hong kong soon and i was wondering if it was a good idea to buy an mp3(samsung p3) from the fortress store at the airport?
    will the price be the same as the one on its website?
    will i be able to find a cheaper one?
    thanks

In general I'd have thought things like that would be cheaper in Shanghai.

Shops at the airport are never cheaper than downtown, and in most cases significantly more expensive - Fortress might be an exception though since its prices seem to be consistent across all shops.

Last edited by PDLM; 05-04-2010 at 02:17 PM.

i heard electronics were cheaper in hong kong?
    do you know of any stores in shanghai that are like fortress?

Gome is one obvious one, but I'm sure there are many.

Quote Originally Posted by rup3ni
    i heard electronics were cheaper in hong kong?
    do you know of any stores in shanghai that are like fortress?
    Cheaper than where?

Compared to Europe and the US electronics are not cheaper here (generally), unless you are looking for greymarket products, i.e. those with warranty from the dealer rather than the manufacturer. Also note that not all products carry international warranty, so consider carefully if the savings are worth the potential hassle.

I am copying and pasting this from another thread:

I have compared electronic prices in the airport on my way thru at least 3-4 times a year, it's a good way to kill time while waiting for my flight..

I don't think their prices are that good, especially if you know where to look to buy what are are looking for.. ie; SSP for computer, MK for cameras, etc..

Some of their products are not even from local distributors so warranty may be a issue, would suck if you bought say a notebook and brought it back to Australia, only to find a defect and that it does not have a international warranty and you have to mail it to the United States... ouch !!

or even if it does have local HK warranty and you would have to mail it back to HK due to no international coverage, you get the picture...

You would probably be fine with buying a Lenovo/IBM thinkpad as those usually have international warranty... rest I dunno

cheaper in hong kong compared to shanghai
    I'm not from the US by the way
    but I've compared the prices between electronics in hong kong and my country and it is waaay cheaper in hong kong! like almost half the price.
    Electronics are really overpriced here.
    An 8gb ipod nano is selling around USD$300!
    and they claimed it was 'duty free'

Last edited by rup3ni; 06-04-2010 at 07:16 PM.

Depends what you're buying. Apple goods are generally the same price in every country minus the country tax.

Shanghai is not cheaper in terms of buying internationally branded goods.