Think my phone has been hacked - how to stop?

Think my phone has been hacked - how to stop?

I received my latest Smartone bill and it appears someone/something is using it to send email, use the internet, and additional data usage. They've managed to rack up about $1000 on it without my knowing (I know it's not me because the times for the data usage are in the middle of the night).
    What is the best way to stop this from happening?
    It's an iphone 3G.
    Thanks

Are you sure its email?

What apps do you have on your iPhone? Some of them might be calling home for updates / data etc.

I looked at the complete breakdown of my bill and the extra charges are listed under mobile email data usage, additional data usage and internet browsing.
    Re the apps, don't have any others apart from the standard ones it came with, as I'm too technologically challenged to work out to get them. I don't even use it for email, or internet, just texting and calling, and have only plugged it into my laptop once. Never had this problem before.
    Have to laugh, because now I'm too scared to switch it on!

Have you tried talking to your service provider? They might have made a mistake with the billing - worth a shot first.

If the SIM number has been hacked, turning the phone off is not going to help - again - the service provider is the first place to try.

What sort of email account do you have configured? Perhaps the type of account you have configured could make a difference on how much data you pull / push?

How did you figure out this was happening at night?

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    Have you tried talking to your service provider? They might have made a mistake with the billing - worth a shot first.

If the SIM number has been hacked, turning the phone off is not going to help - again - the service provider is the first place to try.
    Off to see Smartone when they open to see what's what.

I know that turning off the phone isn't going to help, it was kneejerk reaction, that's why I laughed to myself.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    What sort of email account do you have configured? Perhaps the type of account you have configured could make a difference on how much data you pull / push?

How did you figure out this was happening at night?
    I only configured my email setting on the weekend, think it's yahoo. And as I said before hardly use it and definitely not to email anyone.

Re the times, on my complete bill, it shows the breakdowns and times that it's used for everything. For example under email data at 00:16 on 27/03 156kb went through. Under internet browsing at 06:10 on 20/03 45kb was used and under additional data usage at 00:16 on 27/03 1130kb etc. Usually I'm tucked up in bed around those times. All very weird.

What did the guys over at Smartone say?

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    What did the guys over at Smartone say?
    Nothing really. He said it was just updating and I should upgrade my plan, which I did. Will pay more attention to my phone account though, so it will be interesting to see what it's like next month.