DVD Recorders...

DVD Recorders...

The DVD recorders seem quite expensive here versus the US - if I have a friend bring me one from the US would it work in HK? Would using a voltage converter be a huge hassle and run up my electricity bills?

Thanks for advice/suggestions.

DVD recorders

I find it amazing that the DVD recorders would be cheaper in the USA. I recently bought a DiVx DVD player, and that was a very similar price. You have Three problems as I see it with a US DVD recorder.
    1) the different voltage, although you can pick up a 240->110V transformer for less than 200HK$
    2) USA uses NTSC TV system, whereas HK is predominantly PAL. Most TV's are multi Sync so the player will play, although I don't know what system the TV stations transmit in. I suspect its PAL, in which case the entire premise of a DVD recorder from the US is useless.
    3) The frequencies of reception, I am not entirely sure that the TV range, UHF,VHF etc. would be exactly the same, you may end up with some or many channels unavailable if you record normal TV channels.
    Summary, forget it and shop around.

Yes dwain is so right. It's not like computers where they are in general internationalised and work everywhere.

Thanks - oh well, guess I need to try and find a good deal here. I havent found anything under HKD$1500-HKD$2000.

I was in BEST, Po Lam and saw a Teledevice (I think) DVD Recorder with a 160GB hard drive for a little over $2000. There was another model with a smaller HDD for less. BEST also have a branch at Diamond Hill.