Advice about mobile /cell phone networks please

Closed Thread

Question Advice about mobile /cell phone networks please

I've just moved to Hong Kong and need a low-entry price, flexible, no long term commitment mobile phone provider.
    I'm thinking of People's network as I've heard they offer an account (ie not having to top up in advance) but without a minimum 6 or 12 month contract.
    Interested to know your views about this network - reliability, popularity, reception etc.
    or any other suggestions to give me the features / benefits I'm looking for.
    Thanks in advance
    Zanzibar

I know Peoples will happily let you sign up for a pay-monthly contact with no minimum period, but I was under the impression that - assuming you don't want/need/take a tied-in phone - that was SOP in Hong Kong...

As for Peoples, they're okay... I use their unlimited data package, which works pretty well considering it's GPRS (dial-up) speeds. Coverage is fine, but not amazing - I do find, for example, that I lose coverage when I get into the lift at work, while my cousin/boss who is on CSL keeps his. The local staff and the people in their main customer service centre in Mong Kok are fine to deal with, although their English is limited locally...

I was a Sunday customer until recently and they will offer you a pay-by-the-month plan to which you can add unlimited GPRS too. Coverage is OK though not as good as most others. Similarly, I lose reception fairly easily but not enough that it bothers me - I do have a life outside of my mobile phone!

Thanks

Thanks guys for the advice.
    I did go with Peoples in the end. All seems to be working fine so far at least.