Mobile Phone Mall

Closed Thread

Mobile Phone Mall

I found a building (similar to Mong Kok / Wan Chai Computer Center) in Mong Kok with many many shops only selling mobile phones...
    The prices are low compared with Fortress for example.
    Some models are up to 40% cheaper than in "normal" shops.

What you think about this? Any experience?

Ah that place.

Bought my sony ericsson t610 from there a few years back, Nice and cheap but be wary though of some unscrupulous dealers selling for example a k750i in a w800 case and charging you for the price of a w800, things like that happen but are rare.

deleteduser

So umm

Care to share where this building is?

I bought my V3I there as well as bluetooth headset and Treo 600. In that mall there is a number of used products first of all, such as the PDA's on second floor. With the V3I I thought the price was really good! (like $2000 at the times I bought it) but after going to several shops they explained that is Chinese only version, English cost $200 more, and I checked out tons of shops! But I am impressed with the prices. You also wanna ask about warranties etc. Basicly just make sure to ask questions and shop around.

The mall is at:

If you come out of the MTR exit D something... I think maybe D2 The one that comes out on Argyle street aiming away from Nathan road. You walk across the street and past the Gome etc, then cross the next street with quite a number of red mini bus, then halfway down the block there is the main entrance, side entrances on each side of the block as well with SAGEM on top of the doors.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo:
    Ah that place.
    Bought my sony ericsson t610 from there a few years back, Nice and cheap but be wary though of some unscrupulous dealers selling for example a k750i in a w800 case and charging you for the price of a w800, things like that happen but are rare.
    that's not such a biggy - the W800/K750i are the same phone, with different firmware. the price difference is because the W800 comes with a 512MB card, whereas the K750i only comes with a 64MB card. the only major difference in the firmware is that the W800 lets you choose "aircraft mode" at start-up so you can still listen to MP3's without turning the "phone" bit on...

however, the fact that someone even attempts to "pull the wool over your eyes" is enough reason to be wary, so point definately taken. sorry jimbo, i was just being pedantic
    Last edited by dropdedfwed; 20-03-2006 at 06:29 PM.

Bought a T-Mobile MDA Compact there (O2 Mini) last year. At the time, it was the best price in town. Good place for accessories, too.

if u're shopping at that mall, watch for

(1) quoting u one price than asking for extra for an English version instead of the Japanese or Chinese one. THIS IS NONSENSE Tell them u'll be fine with the Chinese version and you can change the language setting yourself.

(2) selling you a second-hand phone -- THIS IS VERY COMMON and very difficult to check, as they wipe down the phone quite well. When you get the phone, check to make sure the IMEI on the body matches that on the box, check that the gold plated battery connectors are not scratched ONE IOTA and that the battery is genuine. if any bells go off, leave.

(3) selling you a phone with no local warranty (a grey market phone).

The above applies to digical cameras etc as well.

deleteduser
    Quote Originally Posted by HKChigger:
    I bought my V3I there as well as bluetooth headset and Treo 600. In that mall there is a number of used products first of all, such as the PDA's on second floor. With the V3I I thought the price was really good! (like $2000 at the times I bought it) but after going to several shops they explained that is Chinese only version, English cost $200 more, and I checked out tons of shops! But I am impressed with the prices. You also wanna ask about warranties etc. Basicly just make sure to ask questions and shop around.

The mall is at:

If you come out of the MTR exit D something... I think maybe D2 The one that comes out on Argyle street aiming away from Nathan road. You walk across the street and past the Gome etc, then cross the next street with quite a number of red mini bus, then halfway down the block there is the main entrance, side entrances on each side of the block as well with SAGEM on top of the doors.
    Are you sure you didn't fall for the "previous model" trick on the V3i? I haven't seen it for less than $3000 anywhere, and I can't imagine how any store could discount it by $1000, unless it was used or something...

The V3 is about $2000 so that seems more reasonable...

My phone was grey market from Germany. Sold it for a small loss on E-Bay several months later. Be careful out there