Like Tree3Likes

Smartphone but no data plan

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by drumbrake:
    If I get a smartphone which has wifi, but I don't pay for a data plan from one of the local phone companies, instead just using a 2G sim card for voice calls, would I still be able to use the wifi in places which have free wifi - such as McDonalds? Or does the wifi have to be 'enabled' by having a data plan first?

If yes, any recommendations on a smartphone?

Thanks
    OK. Basically you want a smartphone so you can check your mails etc where you can get wifi?

As others have said that should be fine.

One consideration is getting the PCCW wifi plan, its about HK$28 a month and then you can use wifi with the PCCW hotspots, which seem to be quite a lot of places.

Just want to add, been on their website and they are running a two month free promotion at the moment:

http://www.pccwwifi.com/wifi_2months/eng/index.html
    Last edited by pin; 18-05-2010 at 05:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by twitceh:
    Don't buy the Nokia N97 or N97 Mini. Mini is slightly better, but is extremely bugged, and slow. The OS itself is unstable and expect multiple restarts a day and the ability to not receive calls at random. Enjoy.

In regards to the OP, have you considered buying a tablet? Websurfing on a phone isn't really that enjoyable. Buying a tablet or PMP might be beneficial to you.
    Thanks for the feedback about the Nokia N97.

Tablet - I'll investigate more; PMP - do they have wireless capability now? I'd also like to reduce what I have to carry so the idea of combining a phone and something with internet capability is appealing.

Quote Originally Posted by pin:
    OK. Basically you want a smartphone so you can check your mails etc where you can get wifi?

As others have said that should be fine.

One consideration is getting the PCCW wifi plan, its about HK$28 a month and then you can use wifi with the PCCW hotspots, which seem to be quite a lot of places.

Just want to add, been on their website and they are running a two month free promotion at the moment:

PCCW
    That's right. Just want to check emails and other webpages with wifi. Nothing major.