Like Tree2Likes

data roaming plans?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    bdw

Quote Originally Posted by 100LL
    I am considering it as a backup option when I travel to Europe.
    Cant you just buy a prepaid sim card from a European carrier. For example, in Italy you can get a 30 day sim card from Telecom Italia for 69 euros. It will give you 40 hours of access at 14.4mbps speeds.

This has to be much more economical than roaming with a HK sim, no?

Quote Originally Posted by bdw
    Cant you just buy a prepaid sim card from a European carrier. For example, in Italy you can get a 30 day sim card from Telecom Italia for 69 euros. It will give you 40 hours of access at 14.4mbps speeds.

This has to be much more economical than roaming with a HK sim, no?
    I would agree, if you are going to use it for several days, however for a day or two hear or there, the data roaming is a great idea.

BTW was in China this weekend and three of us on different networks: 3HK, SMV and CSL.

All logged on to China Unicom.

I was on SMV, so can't answer question about the data shield. My friend whow as on 3HK, however was pretty much locked onto China Unicom. For SMV and CSL, the phones also were pretty much logged onto China Unicom.

With CSL and 3HK you were able to use all apps, including stuff like IM and FB.

For SMV these were totally blocked (even though on the SMV website it says you can use the apps, you will just be charged extra).

Also, when we came back to HK, my phone was pretty much locked onto China Unicom, it took several hours and multiple reboots of the phone to get it to log back onto SMV.

The problem is that I am traveling to Austria, with Switzerland, Germany and Italy just around the corner. Maybe also France. And I stay directly at a lake (Lake Constance) between Switzerland, Austria and Germany, so I may even be in the wrong network from time to time (lots of mountains).

Getting SIM cards from all those countries is a bit of a headache. And I am not even sure if I will need it but as said it's good as backup. So $138 is not so bad in my opinion.

Of course if I'd only go to one country I'd go for a local SIM card. I actually use a local SIM, but it doesn't have a data roaming package. Local data is fine, but when I am in one of the other countries I can switch my SIM in worst case if I have to go online.

Last edited by 100LL; 17-07-2010 at 04:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MrMoo
    Virgin Mobile are launching a pre-paid MiFi device which looks like a pretty nice precedence.
    That's for the US only..Best Buy has recently launched a device and a plan as well which is supposed to be the best deal atm.

sxc

I used the Smartone-Vodafone data roaming day plan recently and found it very bad value. Not only is it more expensive the the equivalent 3HK plan, applications data is blocked.

So when you're travelling you want to use things like Google Maps, facebook, but these are specifically blocked.

Very bad form for SMV. I have written a complaint about this. Hopefully they will change their policy soon.

Quote Originally Posted by sxc
    I used the Smartone-Vodafone data roaming day plan recently and found it very bad value. Not only is it more expensive the the equivalent 3HK plan, applications data is blocked.

So when you're travelling you want to use things like Google Maps, facebook, but these are specifically blocked.

Very bad form for SMV. I have written a complaint about this. Hopefully they will change their policy soon.
    Are u sure it wasn't blocked by china.... Not smv? How could smv know what app u r running to access internet data? Sounds to me like Facebook and google were blocked by GFW... not SMV
    Posted via Mobile Device

Quote Originally Posted by BenderBends
    Are u sure it wasn't blocked by china.... Not smv? How could smv know what app u r running to access internet data? Sounds to me like Facebook and google were blocked by GFW... not SMV
    Posted via Mobile Device
    When I was in China with others, they were roaming with 3HK and CSL and had no probs accessing apps like FB.

Three have now got quite an attractive PAYG plan:

three.com.hk 3G 香港

Seems the deal is you pay HK$18 a month and get 50MB data a month and unlimited wireless. If you go above the 50MB your daily cap is $28 and your monthly cap is $168.

BUT, they now also include their daily data roaming in this:

three.com.hk 3G 香港

Actually the daily data roaming is available on a bunch of their pre pay sim only offerings.

I'm thinking about getting one of these cards and sticking it in a mifi device, good for when my internet connection at home goes down or when I am travelling abroad.

Here's what I think is a full list:

A list of daily data roaming options offered by carriers in Hong Kong. As far as I'm aware only three carriers offer daily data roaming options: 3HK, Smartone-Vodafone (SMV) and CSL 1010 / One2Free (1010 and One2Free offer essentially the same thing, so I will stick to links from the 1010 website).

Each carrier has slightly different offerings in terms of countries the daily rate applies to, types of services that can be used and what classes as a day.

The basic premise is the same for all the networks though. If you roam on a specific partner network, you will be offered a flat daily rate for data roaming, which is MUCH cheaper than usual data roaming rates, which can amount to something like HK$140 per MB downloaded. The vast majority of the daily data roaming rates are using 3G/HSDPA partner networks. One thing is crucial, you MUST MUST MUST roam on the specific partner network designated by the HK home network, otherwise the daily roaming rate will not be applicable and you will be charged usual roaming rates.

3HK
    - Offered for both postpaid and prepaid customers
    - You can use the daily rate for basically any data, including web browsing, apps, streaming, VOIP
    - Postpaid: 23 destinations offered, Prepaid: 17 destinations offered
    - Postpaid rates start from HK$68 a day to HK$138 a day, depending on destination
    - Prepaid rates start from HK$98 a day to HK$168 a day, depending on destination
    - Day is based on HK time (i.e. 00.00 - 23.59 HK time)
    - Postpaid: further information
    - Prepaid: further information

SMV
    - Offered to just postpaid customers
    - Daily rate only applies to checking email and web browsing. For anything else you will be charged at HK$30 per MB (however when I tried using SMV abroad, everything but email and web browsing was blocked)
    - 45 destinations offered
    - Rates start from HK$138 a day to HK$168, depending on destination
    - Day is based on HK time (i.e. 00.00 - 23.59 HK time)
    - Further information

CSL
    - Not sure if it applies to just postpaid customers
    - Not sure what services the daily rate applies to, the website says: "Blackberry Services, Internet Browsing, Roaming MMS and WAP"
    - 21 destinations offered
    - Flat rate of HK$168 a day
    - Day is based on local time of destinations (i.e. 00.00 - 23.59 local time of where you are)
    - Further information

BenderBends likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2