Like Tree2Likes

data roaming plans?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

data roaming plans?

I notice that a few operators now offer some decent data roaming services, such as 3HK and I think CSL now.

Am wondering if any of the other networks offer anything (specifically SMV), or if there is a way to get a decent data roaming offer by signing up to a provider on a pay as you go basis?

Thanks!

Define "decent data roaming service". What are they offering these days?

I am interested because I travel a lot. At the moment, I have resorted to having local sim cards for each country I visit.

Quote Originally Posted by bdw:
    Define "decent data roaming service". What are they offering these days?

I am interested because I travel a lot. At the moment, I have resorted to having local sim cards for each country I visit.
    Here you go:

three.com.hk 3G 香港

Daily data roaming rates for a whole bunch of countries. HK$68 a day for China and HK$138 a day for other countries.

BTW anyone know of decent data pay as you go in China with China Unicom?
    bdw likes this.

i also see that CSL are now offering a daily data roaming plan:

one2free

SMV will be offering one, but it seems its going to be tied to its mini-sim plan (i.e. for ipad).

The local SIM option is still MUCH MUCH cheaper than these. My local philippine SIM allows me data for 20php (approx 4hkd) per hour, so I'd have to have my laptop on 24 hours solid come even close to those costs.

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    The local SIM option is still MUCH MUCH cheaper than these. My local philippine SIM allows me data for 20php (approx 4hkd) per hour, so I'd have to have my laptop on 24 hours solid come even close to those costs.
    Yes, no doubt its cheaper, but sometimes, esp if you just going for a weekend, this may be a more convenient option. These options are MUCH cheaper than standard data roaming.

Also, its actually impossible for certain countries to get PAYG sims for 3g data (such as in China with China Unicom, unless things have changed recently).

Just an update, SMV have now also launched this:

Data Roaming Day Plan

Its not as cheap as 3HK, but its much cheaper than the normal roaming rates, however it seems that SMV have more roaming partners. You do have to opt in for this though.

Last edited by pin; 25-06-2010 at 02:53 PM.

Virgin Mobile are launching a pre-paid MiFi device which looks like a pretty nice precedence.

I guess this is a thread all to myself pretty much!! However I note there are some subtle differences between what's on offer by the carriers for data roaming (apart from price).

From reading it seems to suggest both CSL and 3HK allow for full data roaming (i.e. browsing, streaming, downloading, use of apps etc), but SMV only allow for web browsing and emailing (including downloading attachments) and they will charge for $30/MB for audio and video streaming and file download.

So, it seems the SMV deal is not as good as the other two networks.

pin, do you have overseas experience with the data roaming from 3?

Does there "network shield" work so you are not charged if you are mistakenly on other networks?

Do you just go online like you would in HK, or do you have to enter special 3G connection details?

What if you activate it and then you don't use it at all. Do you still pay a fee or do you just pay the $138/day once you actually use it?

I am considering it as a backup option when I travel to Europe.

What sucks a bit is the following from their page:

If customer has visited and used Daily Pass in more than one of the specified operators' network within the same day, Daily Charge will be applied separately to each network visited on that day.
    If customer uses the same SIM card to access data roaming service in one of the designated operators' network by both BlackBerry and other mobile handsets within the same day, two separate charges of Daily Charge will be applied.
    Last edited by 100LL; 12-07-2010 at 10:40 AM.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast