PCCW 3G Mobile Service Reviews

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I only use it to play 5 stones lets put it this way!

Quote Originally Posted by vmlinuz:
    I can't really recommend one over the other, since I've only tried Peoples - I don't know what the Sunday service is like...
    I've used Sunday to listen to internet radio and managed to keep the signal all the way from Kowloon East to Central on the MTR. There is a noticeable latency but this may be consistent with GPRS. Do you use EDGE on Peoples?

I had trouble with getting messages and voice message alerts way too late!! And the Sunday network is very patchy!Atleast in many places where Orange worked this one doesn't!But the phone itself is OK. I even use it to play music! Well not exactly iPod quality! Wish I could do other stuff like send SMS's while listening to music!!

Quote Originally Posted by discobay:
    I've used Sunday to listen to internet radio and managed to keep the signal all the way from Kowloon East to Central on the MTR. There is a noticeable latency but this may be consistent with GPRS. Do you use EDGE on Peoples?
    AFAIK there is no EDGE, but I don't think my Treo supports it anyway...

I haven't managed to keep a radio connection going that long, but I haven't tried very hard - I have had an IRC connection going from either Mong Kok or Sham Shui Po all the way to Robinson Road - MTR, through Central/Hong Kong station(s) and up the escalator, without the line dropping. I have 'push' email running 16 hours a day and it's pretty reliable.

Yup, at the moment it's slow, but I'd rather have a slow but constant and unmetered connection than a fast but unreliable and pay-per-bit one, as I think I may have made clear above

Incidentally, apart from Virgin's excellent low-bandwidth MP3 and Ogg Vorbis streams, which Internet stations do you use which have decent GPRS-speed streams?

Our very own RTHK3.

Tried the phone and had problems with delayed text messages and calls not getting through. Turn it off and on again and suddenly the phone woud be going crazy informing me of missed calls and a load of texts would come through at once. Took the sim card out and threw it into a Nokia and all is OK, so obviusly the phone has problems and it's not a usual network issue. Talking of which, the signal isn't that bad but does disappear in places I wouldn't exepct like Kowloon Tong station and on parts of the MTR while travelling. I certainly wouldn't pay for this phone or their level of service.

Asked at a Peoples shop last night and they supposedly do provide EDGE but I can't find any references on their website.