High Definition World Cup TV in HK

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

For those people who havent subscribed to CATV, there are a few internet online TVs will be available to watch. The CCTV5 (sport) which will be broadcasting the World Cup.

http://www.tvants.com

http://www.pplive.com

http://www.tvkoo.com

just remember the programs are designed for mainland chinese, it may not have english support.

jimmymakss

are you a local???

So...

Seems like it is still way too expensive to get HD in Hong Kong at the moment.

I think I'm still going to go ahead and get my HD ready Sony TV though as I'm sure it will come in use later on for HD TV when it is more widespread in addition to Xbox 260/PS3. Do you know whether all the HD TV's in HK now are without digital tuners ?

Going slightly off topic now but can anyone recommend any particular TV/Cable/Broadband provider ?

Thanks
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by rb1234:
    Seems like it is still way too expensive to get HD in Hong Kong at the moment.

I think I'm still going to go ahead and get my HD ready Sony TV though as I'm sure it will come in use later on for HD TV when it is more widespread in addition to Xbox 260/PS3. Do you know whether all the HD TV's in HK now are without digital tuners ?

Going slightly off topic now but can anyone recommend any particular TV/Cable/Broadband provider ?

Thanks
    Rick
    Rick,

Since there is no definite answer on which standard HK would be adapted, i wouldnt recommend anybody to purchase LCD with HD right now. Wait for another year or so or until the gov't has finalised the standard.

What is the main criteria for you to select service provider?
    fastest speed to o/s?
    fastest speed within local?
    demanding for high speed on upload?
    or pricing is far more important to you?

Hi Jimmymakss,

In response to your questions:

Upload is not so important for me but download speed I would like at least a 4MB speed (that's what I had in the UK).

Is it normal to get an internet provider and television channel provider combined or is it better or more common to buy seperate services ?

I think key points for me are:

1) Fast download (at least 4MB)
    2) Reliable service
    3) If the service is providing television too, then ideally the best picture resolutions
    4) Good choice of channels (Is it possible to get UK/US channels here ? BBC1, BBC2, Channel 4, HBO, FOX ?)

Apologies if I have opened this topic up with more questions than answers :-)

Rgds
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by rb1234:
    Hi Jimmymakss,

In response to your questions:

Upload is not so important for me but download speed I would like at least a 4MB speed (that's what I had in the UK).

Is it normal to get an internet provider and television channel provider combined or is it better or more common to buy seperate services ?

I think key points for me are:

1) Fast download (at least 4MB)
    2) Reliable service
    3) If the service is providing television too, then ideally the best picture resolutions
    4) Good choice of channels (Is it possible to get UK/US channels here ? BBC1, BBC2, Channel 4, HBO, FOX ?)

Apologies if I have opened this topic up with more questions than answers :-)

Rgds
    Rick
    Rick,

As far as I know, Cable TV & netvigator do provide the combined tele-service all-in-one. However, according to my past experience and friend's referral, iCable (which is the internet service of CableTV) the internet download speed is pathetic, slower than a snail, therefore, dont ever try to subscribe to CableTV.

Rather than that, netvigator does provide good quality of internet service, the only drawback of netvigator is the upload speed is limited to 640kb.
    If you are not concern to the upload speed, it wont bother you at all.

Netvigator's max download speed for certain area is up to 8Mb (better ask the CS to check the availability of your place), however, most places do cover 6Mb min at least.

When you subscribed to netvigator, it comes with free NOW broadband TV, 2 paid channel free-of-charge (you may select HBO, Discovery Channel, National Geo etc) + the rest of free channel such as ATV 24-Hrs News and etc. I think netvigator does come with good value tho.

Netvigator also got the most fastest speed to overseas compared to the rest of internet service provider.

Hope this would help.