NOW TV and Netvigator

Closed Thread

NOW TV and Netvigator

Can someone help me with answers to some techical issues? I'm getting NOW TV with Netvigator broadband. I get keys to my apartment this weekend and they are coming to install then. I was told over the phone by the rep that the NOW TV decoder and the router (or is it the modem) for broadband needs to be in the same room. Is that true? Can I not have the broadband coming out of the wall in one room and NOW TV in another room without running wires all around the house? I know one can use a wireless connection but I need to have a setup for my work computer and it can't be done wirelessly. Thanks.

Yes it's true. Well, I guess you could have the boxes in different rooms, but only by running a wire between them. The NOW box plusgs into the DSL modem which plus into the wall.

Why do you say you can't have a wireless connection for your work computer?

Hmmm...a friend of mine just told me that she has NOW TV and broadband in separate rooms without wires running. She also just moved into her place about a month ago and had it installed then and we live in the same complex (Bel-Air). You'd think that since PCCW owns that development that it would be wired all around the buildings!

My work requires very high level of security and there are all sorts of software programs and various layers of security programs. Some of them don't support a wireless connection. There is a way around it but it gets very time consuming and annoying to connect, not to mention much, much slower speed for some of them.

I suspect that Bel-Air is Cat5 cabled. In other words the apartments are wired for a network like an office would be. But only the most recent and high end propeties are like that. Most places all the cabling you have is good old-fashioned telephone lines...

Off topic, just went to watch Cars at Cyberport cinema... great place indeed. Do you guys hang around Bel-Air & Cyberport or check out the rest of the city during weekend?

I haven't actually moved there yet so I have no idea. I'm so exhausted this week that if every week is like this, my answer would be that I'd just be sitting on my couch all weekend but I hope this is not the case!