Playstation 2

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Playstation 2

Hi all

I am interested in snapping up a Playstation 2 and was wondering where I might find one, either second hand or first hand and what is the going rate for one.

I found one for sale on geo but the seller isn't responding.

Thanks

I just got one recently at 188, a shopping mall in Wanchai. It costed me $1300 but it was bundled with the video/audio cable, power brick, two original controller and it was pre-modded. It's been running for the last few weeks just fine.

Golden Arcade in Sum Sui Po. You'll be able to get a new slim one, should be under $700 I think. Or you can get one of the old big ones, and it will most likely be modified to play copied games/etc.

Not sure exactly how much these consoles cost anymore though, but that's the place you should look.

Did it come with any kind of warranty and what is the power brick (sorry I'm a game console dunce)?

"Warranty" is basically if it breaks within a month, you bring it back and they will fix it for ya. The power brick is just the power adaptor. I mentioned it specifically because some shops would sell you a completely bare machine at a very low price.

Just make sure you ask and see what's inside the package. The better shops usually plug the machine in right there and test it for you. If the system is pre-modded, they usually would test the "backup" games there as well.

Classifieds

Thanks for the quick response

is there any drawbacks with the slim over the original seems very cheap?

any ideas where i might hunt down a second-hand one through classifieds?

$700 was a total guess on my part.. The console is almost 6 years old now, so I assume that's about what it would cost... I wouldn't pay that much for it if you can get an XBOX 360 for a reasonable price (and games are even cheaper than PS2 games).

I have had both the original and the slim versions. There isn't really any discernible difference between the two.

I am not really familiar with second-hand market here. But I'd suggest not getting a second-hand one. PS2 are notorius for breaking down after 1-2 years of usage (especially if you play non-legit games) and you never know what kind of abuse the second-hand machine has been getting or whether the laser disc reader is near its end.

Xbox 360 is nice but personally I'm just waiting before PS3 comes out and the price drops down a bit.

I'd suggest browsing around a bit. 188 in Wanchai is not a bad place to take a look when you are on HKisland. Try there and SSP, to which I can't attest since I almost never go there. ;-)

Passing up the XBOX 360 and 'waiting on' a PS3 would be something like passing up a new Porsche to 'wait on' the latest model from Yugo. You should read the latest news, PS3 has been nothing short of a disaster so far, and it's not even out yet. Every day game developers are dropping support of it, at least for the next year or so. It's going to be ridiculously expensive, and games will be nothing like you expect them to be... Wait and see

Hehe, well I can't (and couldn't) afford Xbox 360 anyway. Regardless, I still believe in Sony to pull through with PS3; call it blind faith if you want.

PS Winning Eleven is just about the only game I play these days/years. (most importantly with custom English patch)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast