buy a new TV in HK or in the US

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

California now but in summer of 2010 moving to Hong Kong

buy a new TV in HK or in the US

Moving to HK in about a week from the west coast of the US. We're big TV consumers and will need a new set when we get to HK. Having to sell my main TV since the power supply is 110 only.

The TV room in HK is pretty large and would accommodate a substantial TV. Even up to 60/65 inches. My plan all along has been to buy a new plasma when I get to HK. We have signed the 2 year deal with NOW TV. I also have a Slingbox Pro stationed in the US.

The prices I'm seeing on the Fortress website seem to really high compared to comparable equipment here. I also know about Broadway and am checking there too but, are there any other places to shop for high end TV's? It may pay off for me to buy a 110-240V TV here and ship it there. Any opinions?

Also, is the quality of the HD supplied by NOW worthy of spending a bunch on a new set? The Slingbox should provide pretty decent HD quality so I'm counting on that too.

Lots of questions but thought it better to pile into one thread instead of many.

Thanks in advance for the input.

bdw

Dont count on the slingbox providing "HD quality". What it gives you is the ability to watch local US content that you might not be able to get here, but dont get your hopes high on the quality side. But they are great at what they do.

The problem with buying a HDTV in US and shipping it here is that the tuner is not compatible. The US uses ATSC technology and HK uses DMB-T/H. So the TV will not be able to pick up any of the free-to-air stations by itself. However, if you get the NowTV set top box, it can pick up these stations. So this may not be a huge problem.

Fortress and broadway will both be similar prices. These are the two largest chains here. You will be able to get better prices elsewhere. You can start by looking here: Plasma - ???? - ????? Price.com.hk

I think the consensus is that the US is cheaper for TV's. But to get one that is 240V compatible will cost more and then of course the shipping will be very expensive. So I would say it is probably not worth the hassle to ship one from the US.

Last edited by bdw; 25-07-2010 at 10:14 AM.

I wouldn't worry too much about the HD quality but the choice of HD programming they offer, which currently are 8 channels only.

If you ship a TV make sure it's insured.

i think you should get the tv in HK. electronic goods here are pretty affordable.

Indeed - if you can afford to rent a property which has a "TV room" then the cost of the TV is going to be insignificant.

fth

Given that the voltage is different, broadcast standard is different, and the fact that your TV will be sitting in a shipping container for a while crossing the pacific followed by Hong Kong's nice "steamy" weather I would bite the bullet here.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM
    Indeed - if you can afford to rent a property which has a "TV room" then the cost of the TV is going to be insignificant.
    TV Room / Living room, whatever. Also, the HK$42,000 difference from the US to HK is indeed significant

Thanks to all the other folks who posted helpful comments.

Think I'll spend the money in HK.

yup,,just bought a 40inch tv for 5500 : D super

Quote Originally Posted by kokoyashi
    yup,,just bought a 40inch tv for 5500 : D super
    Where did you get it?

Quote Originally Posted by calott
    TV Room / Living room, whatever. Also, the HK$42,000 difference from the US to HK is indeed significant

Thanks to all the other folks who posted helpful comments.

Think I'll spend the money in HK.
    I find it hard to believe there could be a HKD42,000 "difference" between any countries for a television set??

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast