Like Tree1Likes

DVD Region Error Code

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

most japanese dvd player have to be physically modified to be region free, ie, additional chip and few wires.

possibly better if you sell your machine and buy a modified machine which will be regon free

Quote Originally Posted by Renotommy:

Thanks for your useful info. Do I need to go thru all those steps everytime I wish to play a HK movie (from a DVD or VCD), or is that set-up good forever once it is implemented with the same DVD player?
    This is a once off deal and once done will set the player to Region 0 (region free)

There is a couple of variations to this if it does not work. When the player says disc open steps 4 + 5 + 6 should be done without delay. I have done many DVD players but never a Samsung. Let me know how you get on.

Thanks again Mile High!

Quote Originally Posted by Mile High:
    Reported elsewhere this may work

1. Remove disc from tray.
    2. Switch off player from remote.
    3. Turn on player with remote. Wait for player to finish loading and display 'no disc'.
    4. Press enter on remote (The middle button in the navigation ring).
    5. Press 8, 4, 2, 6, 9 on the remote.
    6. Press enter on the remote. Player will automatically shut off.
    7. Turn player on (from front panel - ie not from remote).
    8. Turn off (from front panel - ie not from remote).
    9. Turn player off then on again (ie repeat 7-8).
    10. Player is now region-free.
    Perfect, worked as it should and the DVDs are playing. Only my blueray disk which i accidentally bought, doesn't work yet

Quote Originally Posted by bdw:
    Dont forget you also have to stand on your head while you are doing it or it wont work
    Isn't that only for the Australiasian region?

Quote Originally Posted by cookie09:
    Perfect, worked as it should and the DVDs are playing. Only my blueray disk which i accidentally bought, doesn't work yet
    Pleased it worked for you. Yes the blu-ray disc maybe a little more tricky.......but I do have the mod for the goose to lay golden eggs.

For future reference the regions are different for blu-ray. More info here

It is worth considering before making a new blu-ray player purchase.

Once you decide on a model is it region free out of the box? Some speciality retailers will do this for you. Alternatively is there a simple solution on the Internet. Typically Sony and Panasonic tend to be more difficult.

Dragging up yet another oldish thread......I have decided to grow up and get my own place here in HK and will be shipping over 400 or so DVDs and blurays. Due to the dvds being from a variety of regions and the blurays are all UK/multi region, and because I would like purchase locally, can anyone recommend a multiregion bluray player that will accept both dvds and blurays.

Would be pretty interested if this came as a home theatre set with speakers too as I can't afford to get separates as yet.

Wouldnt you be better off ripping the DVD's into ISO images and dumping them on a media player? You could fit 200 or more movies on a 1TB HDD and the quality is identical to the original DVD. An ISO rip is an exact match (uncompressed) to the original.

Or you just like looking at the covers or something?

Quote Originally Posted by bdw:
    Wouldnt you be better off ripping the DVD's into ISO images and dumping them on a media player? You could fit 200 or more movies on a 1TB HDD and the quality is identical to the original DVD. An ISO rip is an exact match (uncompressed) to the original.

Or you just like looking at the covers or something?
    Bdw they are all in the UK so I would have to bring them over here anyway and what do I do with them once ripped? Some of them are quite valuable as they are specilaist editions from Japan and the US.

Plus I would still need a multiregion player of some kind to rip them right?
    Last edited by AGxM; 25-02-2011 at 02:55 PM.

Well if you *HAVE* to bring them over here, thats fine. I just thought maybe you didnt need to bring all your possesions over and you can leave some stuff behind in the UK. (I've dumped a lot of my stuff out in my parents back shed in Australia). HK apartments are just too small, shipping too expensive, and I want to lead a more simple lifestyle.

My only point is that you can fit 400 DVD's on a 3.5 inch hard disk in identical form to the original and still enjoy them in exactly the same way with a simple HDD based player that you can get in Sham Shui Po for a few hundred $$$.

Sorry I cannot answer your direct question. I got a Sony 5.1 home theater recently, but I made it a point to NOT get any physical drive with it (no DVD or bluray). Just a receiver with a bunch of HDMI inputs and 1 HDMI output. I have my HDD based media player feeding into it (along with NowTV, iphone, LocationFree).