Like Tree1Likes

DVD Region Error Code

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

DVD Region Error Code

i am really no home entertainment system buff, so please someone help.

we bought a new DVD players recently, a Samsung HTC-450. It comes with some speakers, a subwoofer and a DVD player.

Then we went off to buy DVDs. Some from a shop in TST, some over the weekend from the Shenzhen Book shop (the large one behind the red/yellow government headquarters). All legit DVDs - or so we thought.

Getting home, we tried several from the TST shop and about 30% produce a ERR REGION code on the DVD player display. For the Shenzhen ones, it's more like 80%.

What is going on here and what can i do? My old player never made a fuss (when it worked at all).

HK & China are different regions.

Usually it is the Japanese brands that are festering turds of region locking. I don't see anything listed for this model though, you'll probably be better off picking up a small cheap Chinese manufacturer player instead. I certainly learnt my lesson with a Panasonic device.

Last edited by MrMoo; 09-08-2010 at 10:42 PM.

can i at least change from hk to china region?

Reported elsewhere this may work

1. Remove disc from tray.
    2. Switch off player from remote.
    3. Turn on player with remote. Wait for player to finish loading and display 'no disc'.
    4. Press enter on remote (The middle button in the navigation ring).
    5. Press 8, 4, 2, 6, 9 on the remote.
    6. Press enter on the remote. Player will automatically shut off.
    7. Turn player on (from front panel - ie not from remote).
    8. Turn off (from front panel - ie not from remote).
    9. Turn player off then on again (ie repeat 7-8).
    10. Player is now region-free.

Renotommy likes this.

you can get region free dvd players from hjapanese manufacturers from independent electronic stores, they are far better quality thatn cheap brands, pioneer dv420, dv720 are class machines, but it you purchase from broadway, fortress or other large stores, chances, that it will be region coded

Quote Originally Posted by Mile High:
    Reported elsewhere this may work

1. Remove disc from tray.
    2. Switch off player from remote.
    3. Turn on player with remote. Wait for player to finish loading and display 'no disc'.
    4. Press enter on remote (The middle button in the navigation ring).
    5. Press 8, 4, 2, 6, 9 on the remote.
    6. Press enter on the remote. Player will automatically shut off.
    7. Turn player on (from front panel - ie not from remote).
    8. Turn off (from front panel - ie not from remote).
    9. Turn player off then on again (ie repeat 7-8).
    10. Player is now region-free.

Thanks for your useful info. Do I need to go thru all those steps everytime I wish to play a HK movie (from a DVD or VCD), or is that set-up good forever once it is implemented with the same DVD player?

>> it you purchase from broadway, fortress or other large stores, chances, that it will be region coded

The salesman will often hand you a photocopied sheet with the codes to unlock / change regions.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    >> it you purchase from broadway, fortress or other large stores, chances, that it will be region coded

The salesman will often hand you a photocopied sheet with the codes to unlock / change regions.
    he didnt for me, that's for sure.

will try that unlocking technique described above. let's pray for good

Dont forget you also have to stand on your head while you are doing it or it wont work

Also the few legit China-region DVDs that exist, are very likely to be edited/censored and only to offer Mandarin dub or similar. This is the reason why illegal DVDs are so plentiful there in the first place!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast