Got an XBOX - What can I do?

Closed Thread

Got an XBOX - What can I do?

Ok, its been years since I've played a game and well over a decade since I've owned a system.

One of our supporters had a spare xbox (the original .. not 360) and I've got no clue what the good games etc are.

Any tips on what the xbox essentials are?

Put Linux on it and use it as a media player or a cheap, low-powered, ugly PC - or don't put Linux on it and use it as a media player. Then start saving for a Wii...

Could you have guessed that was coming?

Media center looks like a great option. I guess I'll have to read up on it ... I assume I would need to buy a WIFI adapter for the XBOX.

I had one for a couple of years

and it was really useless except for games and afew DVD's until I got it modded with a CHip and had the Slayer Evo X bios installed.

It comes with the media centre (plays most stuff including AVi and MPG, and will let you stoire photos) and DVD RegionX to remove the regional encoding for DVD's.

I would by no means condone software piracy, but it also allows you to play copied games (you can still find them using P2P and burn them onto DVD-R. Note, must be DVD-R).

My favourite games were the first war games like Medal of Honour and Call Of Duty.

Original games would be quite cheap now anyway anmd the game quality is still very hood.

Quote Originally Posted by KnowItAll:
    Media center looks like a great option. I guess I'll have to read up on it ... I assume I would need to buy a WIFI adapter for the XBOX.
    What kind of games are you interested in mainly?

And of course, there's always ye olde XBOX beowulf cluster if you can find a couple more.

So, does anyone have a recommendation where I can get the unit chipped and get the media player installed?

Shutensa, I'm not much of a game player ... definately not keen on bringing in DOOM type shooters that I used to enjoy years ago ... and not keen on getting the kid addicted. Might go get a flight sim...

So, does anyone have a recommendation where I can get the unit chipped and get the media player installed?
    Chipping is easy, help on XBMC is more difficult, I've just ordered the necessary bits from Amazon in the US: Xbox Action Replay and MechAssault. I let you know how it goes.

I'm getting rapidly disillusioned by this beast.

We've not chipped / media enabled it yet, but I cant seem to survive for more than 2 minutes on any of the games we got, including some classic arcade games.

And the legal games are pretty expensive, considering that I don't get more than 2 minutes of survival time on them.

Finally, on the media box end, I'm not sure if the unit can do justice to the high def videos we'd like streamed (UK / US HDTV shows)...

So, going to look at putting a hard drive in there and using it as a storage box.

man that thread title was tempting! as in "get in the PS3 line right behind me" or "wait till DX10 comes out".

at any rate, XBOX is still a nifty machine. use it for what it was meant to be used for: games.

and you don't survive long? well get practicing troop! gaming is the life!

I'm getting rapidly disillusioned by this beast.

We've not chipped / media enabled it yet, but I cant seem to survive for more than 2 minutes on any of the games we got, including some classic arcade games.

And the legal games are pretty expensive, considering that I don't get more than 2 minutes of survival time on them.

Finally, on the media box end, I'm not sure if the unit can do justice to the high def videos we'd like streamed (UK / US HDTV shows)...

So, going to look at putting a hard drive in there and using it as a storage box.
    Yeah, I wouldn't swear to it being up to HD-quality downloads, particularly if they're h264 (as they're starting to be) rather than xvid...

I bought mine ready-chipped - I knew I'd want to run Linux, uh, unofficial games, etc. on it, so there wasn't much point getting a clean one.

And... if I read you right, you're saying you're not sure you like the machine, because you suck at video games?