Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Raccon

TV's

Closed Thread

TV's

Hi,

The iCable guy came round, and couldn't get the HD Set Top Box working with my TV from Japan. Think it was a problem with PAL / NTSC as we could here the sound, but no vid.

So now I have to buy a TV in Hong Kong. Can anyone advise the best site for buying a big TV (50" +) in HK? Fortress just seems to do the standard retail price

Thanks

Kamran

Translated result of Price.com.hk

Quote Originally Posted by Vimto:
    The iCable guy came round, and couldn't get the HD Set Top Box working with my TV from Japan. Think it was a problem with PAL / NTSC as we could here the sound, but no vid.
    My HD Set top box works just fine with my Japanese TV, though the box is Now TV rather than iCable... provided your set top box has an HDMI connection then PAL/NTSC shouldn't be an issue.

That's what I thought but I tried now tv 2 days ago with hdmi and the same problem. Think I'm just gonna have to buy a HK telly
    Posted via Mobile Device

One other point you might wish to note is the quality of the programming is pretty rubbish - we have not switched our Now TV box on for several months, I don't expect we'll renew it. Wish I had not signed the 18 month contract in the first place now.

Really odd you can't get it working - my domestic Japan (110v only, lol) Sharp TV works just fine here with HDMI - which is a universal standard and PAL/NTSC is irrelevant.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff:
    Really odd you can't get it working - my domestic Japan (110v only, lol) Sharp TV works just fine here with HDMI - which is a universal standard and PAL/NTSC is irrelevant.
    HDMI is still subject to the 50/60Hz issues, or there might be some handshaking problem (HDCP).
    Vimto likes this.

I know that NOWTV does require HDCP - not sure about the CableTV box, but I would expect so too.